What aspects of past holiday traditions do you keep in these modern times?

I've always said that I'm more of an old fashioned kind of young woman. I love quaint things that tend to take you back to a time when life and times were simplier.

We're a family who not only bakes and makes yummy treats but we make baskets and take them to neighbors as a family. We send out tons of cards. Many of our decorations are handmade and simple. I can apple butter, corn relish and make soaps to give to family, friends and a few co-workers. I wrap everything either in seasonal fabric or brown paper and embelish with ribbons, red berries and holly.

I found that when going to my neighbors to bring them goodies and holiday cheer we got a lot of strange looks. At first I told my husband perhaps it was because we're a multi-racial family, but the more I thought about it I realized it was more because no one does that sort of thing anymore, so to see it being done it takes getting use to.

Ladybugkisses76

Asked by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Holidays

• Clean cabinets and burning crumbs before Passover

Answer by rkoloms at 11:40 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I bake homemade Christmas cookies every year. My grandma always did it, but she is almost 80 now, and has arthritis among other concerns, so I do it now. We make homemade cards, too, to send out, instead of buying premade ones. We listen to Christmas music, and sing around the house, but we don't go out and do it, partly b/c the neighbors would probably think we were drunk or nuts, and partly b/c we can't sing. lol I always put up the decorations that my kids make, whether on the tree or just hanging somewhere around the house. We always do big family dinners for all the big holidays (Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Memorial, Labor, etc). We're pretty big on family stuff.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:50 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• This is something we should keep up and get to know our neighbors. We need to learn how to keep the good from the past and mix it with some of our modern times.
    The ladies on the AFB always did this all the time and it was fun. When we moved of base it became cold and uneasy.
    I will share my bake goods with two of my neighbors these Holidays.

I blame this on the 1980's that is when everyday on the TV would always say "lets keep our kids safe teach them not to talk to strangers". That was the dumbest things we ever did.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:51 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• We make one homemade decoration each year.
    Bake homemade macadamia nut cookies for santa ON xmas eve
    Read "The Grinch Who Stold Christmas" on xmas eve (and then write date & location on inside cover...for keepsake)
    Last year was our first Christmas Eve & Christmas Day that was spent entirely exclusively with just my DH and our 3 kids. It was SO wonderful, we're trying to keep that going too, we'll see :)
    rainandresmom

Answer by rainandresmom at 4:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• We make all our tree ornaments homemade. I can't stand buying ornaments because they're all made in China, and the glass balls break so easy. We love spending cold rainy afternoons inside making ornaments. We also listen to Christmas music, watch holiday movies (a favorite is still Mickey's Christmas Carol lol), and we go drive around to look at lights on christmas eve, we go to the Candlelight service on christmas eve. We cook huge dinner on Christmas eve, and we always make homemade desserts and cookies for Santa. This year we are doing something that I think we are going to love, we are going to a 19th century Christmas reenactment at a "fort" that was built here over I think 160 years ago. I'm looking forward to it!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2009