how to get my 3 yo to stop sucking his thumb

he sucks his thumb all the time and he is in preschool now and they dont want him to cuz of germs so any help would be wonderful. thanks

capfelbeck

Asked by capfelbeck at 11:54 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They make stuff to put on it that taste awful, but is not harmful, I think it is called Nosuck, my Mom used vinegar on my thumb. Also when you see him do it try to redirect him, look honey if you don't suck your thumb we will.. watch cartoons... paint..whatever seems to interest him. It is a habit, and if you use the bad tasting stuff a night, it will help--good luck mom, I sucked my thumb down to the bone when I was little, I quit cold turkey with the promise of a wagon, Mom used the vinegar at night, because you can't help doing it when you sleep, but I was a little older!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:58 AM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I get disturbed every time someone says 'make them stop sucking' People need to understand it is not just a bad habit. It is a self comforting measure. Forcing them to give it up before they are ready can deeply disturb their sense of well being and confidence. Most children stop on their own by age 5. You can start setting boundaries but please do not put anything on his thumb. My grandson sucked on the inside of his wrist from birth (before actually I have an ultrasound of him doing it) until he was 4. We just knew he was going to walk across the stage at graduation still doing it. He just stopped. We're talking about a kid that did it whenever he was tired, whenever he was stressed, whenever he was scared. He just stopped on his own. Every once in a while I'll see it in his mouth when he is asleep but very rarely. Your little one is only 3 give it time.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Thank you to the poster above! Thumb sucking isn't a disgusting habit and its not dirty. I hate when people see my two year old and say, uhm what are you gonna do about that thumb sucking..NOTHING! thats what im gonna do Im gonna let him comfort himself I see kids with blankies or paci's till they are much olde rthen 2 and 3! My pediatrician actually said he was a thumb sucker and when he got old enough to understand his mom told him he could only suck his thumb @ home and thats how it worked in their house. I figure my kid will quit when he quits.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 4:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I would be finding a new preschool if they insist a 3 year old can't suck his thumb. I work at a preschool and at nap time over half of the kids either have a paci, a blakie or a thumb or fingers in their mouth. When 'germs' outweigh compassion it's time to find a new school.
    Anonymous

• My 2 yrs old sucks his finger all the time, he wouldn't take a binki as a baby he's just always wanted to suck his finger. I think it's cute. I sucked my thumb until I was 15 yes 15 but I only did it at home. It was weird cuz after my dad past away I stoped. My mom & dad were always fighting so as i got older I figured it was a comfurting thing.
    Hottie_Mommy

Answer by Hottie_Mommy at 6:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2009