What to expect when our 2nd child is here in less then 6 months with a 3 yr old?

I no Im going to be tired but tell me something that I might now know when baby gets here. My son will be almost 3& 1/2 when our baby gets here and he is so attached to me considering Im a stay at home mom and its just me and him all day every day. Every one says things will just fall into place and I really hope thats the case. I will be nursing around the clock so it will definatly take time away from my son but is there any way I can make him feel not so left out when Im having to attend to our newborn?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:56 AM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My daughter was almost the exact same age when my son was born. I just tried to make sure to involve her in everything I was doing with the baby. She "helped" me change him, pick out his clothes for the day, and after you get nursing down, you will be able to play with her still while you are nursing. I was adament that she stay with me in our normal routine after I brought him home to be sure she didn't feel like I didn't want her around or was too busy for her. I'm sure your son will be excited to see a baby and things really do just work out! Good luck to you and hope this helps!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Ask him to help, tell him what a good helper/big brother he is. Keep him involved. Invest in a sling so the baby can nurse while youre up and doing things that way it wont seem like youre sitting around nursing all the time. A sling is the biggest help, I think. That way you can be mobile and have both hands free to be interacting with your older child...
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Yes, you will be tired, but before you know it this baby and your son will be fast friends. my daughters are 2yrs 6 months apart, and i was so worried about how my older daughter would react to the baby. My older daughter would care for her dolls while i carted around the baby. I made sure to stiil do things alone with her. As far as the nursing goes my daughter started doing that as well. Once while shopping in a crowed store she picked up a baby doll bottle and loudly asked if she could have them so she could stop breast feeding. Try to get as much sleep as possible and enjoy these kids.
    cookiemommy26

Answer by cookiemommy26 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• i had my son when my d was 23 mts. am also sahm. she took was fine, had no problesm adjsuting, i asjedfor help. she likes to think she is his mom. she loves him soo much cuddles with him . she ehlps with diapers chances feedings, everything. i try to include her in eveerything relataed to the baby
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• A sling will help you to do Life almost the same as if the baby weren't there...
    You can wear your baby as you take your son to playgroups, the zoo, for walks, the store, to do dishes, laundry, cooking, etc...

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Yes, you will be tired. I know first hand about being tired. My oldest son was 18mo. when our second son came and things did fall into place. My oldest loved to be involved in helping with getting diapers and wipes for the baby, he even helped burp his little brother, with help from me. Then when my second son was close to 19mo. we had baby number 3. My middle son has Down Syndrome so he did not start to walk until he was 2 1/2 so i had 2 not walking and 2 in diapers. Everything worked out though, just like it did with the first 2. All 3 boys are now close with each other and for the most part play very well together. It is wonderful to see. Now, i am pregnant with my fourth baby, only 13weeks along, and my youngest son is very attatched to me and i am concerned that he will have a more difficult time with the new baby than my older 2 did. But then again, it will probably all work out in the end. Just like it will 4u.
    Anonymous

• YES TO THE SLING!! it is a life saver. my son is 3.5 and my daughter is 5 months.... no he was not interested in "helping" us out at all, not in throwing the diaper away or picking up a nuk. but he loves to get toys for her and giving her a bath...just the fun stuff, dont expect them to actually help though. my son has actually gotten less independent and more clingy, more naughty, and tries to get away with a lot more things, especially when i'm nursing my baby...but, yours could be completely opposite...it just depends on everyones personality.
    acounard

Answer by acounard at 2:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2009