cradle cap? At 20 months old?!

My son recently had all his hair cut off, and his scalp has what looks like cradle cap! I never noticed it when he had longer hair... I thought they grew out of that a long time ago, but it's not dandruff.. it looks almost like scabs on his head. WTH?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is it crusty? Does it flake off when you brush his scalp, if not it is not cradle cap, if so try Burt's Bees apricot oil. If not it could be tetter, a form of ringworm, if it is not flaking or crusty, make an appointment with the doctor, tetter is a fungal infection that you need a script for! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• It doesnt seem to be flaking of or anything when I wash or comb his hair... I had no idea about Tetter, thank you! I'll get him an appointment to have it checked out, better safe than sorry :-)
    Anonymous

• Yep, my son had it till age three. Same thing, I never really noticed. I took baby oil and a soft brush and gently scrubbed at it over a few baths. Comes off, don't worry.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• my son had it @ 3 too, don't worry it'll totally go away! i took mine to the ped too just to make myself feel better :) no harm in that!
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 4:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• well, my son had it as an infant and I noticed it again about at 14 months. I tried to NOT wash his hair as often and then tried washing it more, and nothing helped and I dreaded doing the vaseline that I did when he was a baby because it was SO hard to get out and at 14 months he freaked at me even washing his hair so it would have been more of a battle. I know it did itch my son and I would catch him itching at it more and more and be irritated by it too - it was cradle cap though and head and shoulders took care of it in 2-3 washings..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 19, 2009