what do you look for in a babysitter?

What skills do you like to ensure a potential babysitter would have? I am thinking about hiring someone to watch my child and need to ensure I have everything covered... Thanks yall!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Responsible, reliable, honest, trustworthy, and clean for starters. They also must be consistant with how I raise my child and follow the rules and routines that I have set up for him. They also mustn't be too cross and definately not violent towards my child at all. (Yes, that includes spanking and smacking of the hand or face.) I would like for them to be able to clean up any messes, such as after my son eats and any dishes they may use. I would want them to be playful and loveable, so that my son is happy to be around them. They should be willing to take my son to the park and on walks, as well as interact with them. (Whether on an educational level or just playing around) I definately would want them to praise good behaviour and punish bad as I would do with my child. Discuss pay, schedule, drinking/smoking preferences, etc.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Responsible, patient, experience w/ your age kids and good references, someone NOT afraid to call you if they get overwhelmed or worried, first aid or cpr is a plus, someone genuinely interested in kids that actually wants the job instead of plunking the kids down in front of the tube. I have seen SO MANY nannies at the park not watching the kid. My other SAHM friend and I have commented on how appalling it is and how the parents would freak if they knew what nanny wasn't doing. Mainly good backup check and references and someone old enough but not too old.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I second jeanclaudia
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2009