Can you put a guys name on the birth certificate without him being there?

If you are not married and the father is not there when the child is born can you put him on the bc? What if his mother was there could she do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• At my hospital my husband had to sign a form consenting that he is the father. It would be wrong for any woman to claim someone as father without him knowing and agreeing.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• But I don't know the law on this!
    MamaChamp

• In most hospitals the father must sign the forms. The mother can fill in a name all she wants but it won't go on a birth cert unless he signs the form. Signing the form is an acceptance of paternity in most states.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• PP is right, but you can still fill in his name as said father, is he in the military or just not around? I think if in the military you can do it with him faxing consent, if not put his name down, then you will probably have to go through paternity testing--good luck
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• No it's not me I was asking for a friend. She wanted to know cause he wants nothing to do with her or the baby but his mom is there.
    Anonymous

• I honestly don't remember my dh signing the forms. Maybe states vary on this? The only thing my Dh had to sign was a paper saying he would listen to the doctor/nurses while he was in the room during delivery and that he had seen the shaken baby syndrome video. Everything else I just filled out.
    Anonymous

• If you arent married you have to get an afidavid SP? as well and he does have to sign that.
    Anonymous

If he wants nothing to do with the baby why put him on the certificate?
    I will tell you from personal experiance that goes bad.
    My ex wanted nothing to do with our baby and his mom made him sign the partuniry paper.
    3 years later he decided that he was ready to be daddy and lied to make me look abusive now Im in a huge coustody battle with him.
    It would be better to not have him on there that way he couldnt decide later he wants to take the baby away
    Anonymous

• No you cannot. He has to be there to sign himself if you are not married. If you are married, he does not have to sign, he's automatically listed as the father.

My husband was deployed when our daughter was born, and I asked those questions so I could make sure that he was on the birth certificate.

If she wants to get child support out of him, she needs to get a paternity test to get him to assume responsibility.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My son's father wasn't around while I was pregnant, let alone at the hospital when I gave birth. There was no doubt he was the father, but he wasn't there to witness it, so, in my opinion, he don't deserve to be named. Later on, paternity was established for child support, he still hasn't met his kid, so he still don't deserve to be on that certificate. She's better off, less problems later. The baby is hers, and he/she don't need a daddy to thrive, cuz mama does all the work anyway.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2009