i'm curious about development (cont post to come)

Soo i've delayed posting like this in fear of the bashing haha..... i know we all think are babies are the smartest things since einstein. while i wouldnt take it quite that far there are some things that i definitely think my almost 11 month old son is advanced in. I'll give you some examples and you all tell me what you think. (o and btw i worked in a daycare nursery so i've seen a lot of babies who are advanced, average, or delayed.)
-DS started sitting unsupported at 5 months
-was pulling up at 6 1/2 months
-cruising at 7 1/2 months
-asking "whats that?" (but its "sdat?) and pointing to things at 8 months
-also started point to head at 8 months when asked
-walked at 9 months
-can drink, a tad messy, but can drink out of a cup
-says mamma or dadda to the right parent
-waves and says bye (the waving has been since about 6 months but added bye to it at 9-10 months, and now walks to the door when he says it)

AmandaN1

Asked by AmandaN1 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He sounds ahead of the curve for sure!! An industrious little guy. Although I don't know if that will mean anything as he gets older, but it will be interesting to see if he stays ahead!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• -can climb stairs starting early 10 months
    -has just started using a fork, he gets correct end in mouth and can sometimes get food scooped

i'm really just kinda interested in your opinions without too much telling me i'm just overreacting haha.

o and ps he's doing all this with just one hand (he was born without a fully developed left hand)

so whatcha think?
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Lol at previous poster. I guess it just depends on your own kids. Yours is definetly ahead of mine. :-)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• i think that is really good and i wish my son could do some of that stuff. he i 8 month old and can not set up on hi own yet.. cant crawl and can not stand up. so i would say good
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I dont think so
    Ive nannied and this sounds normal to me...not trying to put you down or anything but my own sis could walk at 7 mos and spell her name on the fridge at almost 18mos.

Maybe she's ahead of the curve too but I just find all that normal

and many of the babies I nannied for sat up around sometimes before sometimes after 5 mos
    I could go down the list but for nothing really stands out to me because I think at 10mos a baby should know many thing more than just saying mom and dad to the correct person...JMO Im not bashing but it just seems normal to me
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• pp, is your son big for his age? one of my brothers was a large baby (like 20 lbs at two months old) and couldnt crawl or walk early bc he was just too heavy to support himself.
    o and he's not fat, just big he's not 14 and is like 5'10" and a stout boy.....size 12 or 13 shoe....and still growing.....poor moms food bill lol

o and the first reply was mine just continuing the post....unless someone else posted and deleted :-p
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Amanda, are you replying to mine? My boys were both slow to speak and communicate. My oldest was HUGE (tall not fat). His comprehension was ahead of the curve and he seemed right in the middle for everything else. I didn't mean to be rude, I did just find it funny. It really is true that every baby IS so different and there is a wide range of 'normal.'
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Oops! Just figured out who Amanda was responding to. :-)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• haha its ok and i didnt think you were being rude at all, or to the one who thinks he's normal. this is my first baby (have a ss but only been with him for a few months and he's almost 4 so my first baby full time haha). so like i said mostly curious what others think. i appreciate those who are here to respond honestly and not like those just out to start trouble :-)
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• He sounds about average to me.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 12:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2009