Why are women more judgmental when it comes to apperance?

My husband and i were out yesterday and I saw a woman who was, not average but had some meat, not bad though. I looked at her and said to my husband "I would never want to get that big" my husband was shocked and was like "SHE'S NOT THAT BIG!" Now I'm not cutting down bigger women at all, but to me for MYSELF I freak out if I'm chunky/chubby. I think it has something to do with being anorexic when I was 16/17. I'm just wondering why are women so judgmental? Not just on weight, but on how other women are raising their kids, what other people are doing in their lives. My husband says he's so glad he's not a woman because no matter what he did some other woman would have something bad to say about him. So what are your all's opinions? Why do we jump to so many conclusions? Why do we complain about other peoples kids? Why are we so judgmental of each other?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was just thinking about this the other night. I went out to eat with my mom and 3 girls wearing almost nothing walked in. I knew my mom was going to comment on them so I pretended not to see them. Sure enough she looked at them, then looked at me with this look on her face that said "eww." I agreed on that but tried not to show it. She kept looking at them and was making catty comments and I realized that is where I get it from! Judging other women by their appearance. I try not to do it, especially around my SO because I know he hates it when women start tearing each other down. I'm going to work hard to not be so judgemental and I can only hope that other women start doing the same.
    Anonymous

• I dunno, but you're right. I try really hard not to jump to conclusions or say another woman is a bad mother or a bad person for A, B or C. I found that it's really easy to judge someone from a distance, but once I get to know the people I've judged, I've always found that my opinions were wrong.

Maybe we just don't keep ourselves busy enough, so we end up being nasty as an outlet for excess energy?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Women are more judgemental all the way around. Drama can be very stimulating.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I think it comes from womens insecurity. We think we have to be better than the next, we think our bodies have to be perfect and beautiful in order to be loved, or respected. This is not all just about women, men (the "mans" world ) not all men of course, but our society as a whole, treats women as inferior. The media treats women as objects. When we start to see ourselves in that way too, and judge one another based on looks, why would we expect men to treat us any different?
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• yep, we all judge if its on someone's outfit or to someone's lives or anything. i try not to but i do on certain things like what someone is wearing, but ppl only judge on someone's kids and thier life because they dont live it and think they are right about it. they should live our lives and then maybe they will "get it" or understand thats the way we are. we mostly just see the things "our" way and comment on it but dont live thier lives so we comment the way we see it in our eyes.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• It's what we're good at, so we go with that. :) Really, idk why.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2009