sleeping in her own room? when is she ready? or is it me lol

Ok so i have a 6mo dd and she's awesome.. she was sleeping in bassinet next to my bed now i moved her into a playpin next to me. We have a crib for her and she has her own room but i just don't know when its right for her to sleep in there. Im nervous. Is she still too little. Im scared of SIDS. I just don't know, what do you ladies think? I have a monitor but i still get worried that i won't hear her as well as if she's right next to me. I can move the crib into our room its big enough. I just don't wanna let her sleep in her room yet. Am i being too woried?

ninawiseman87

Asked by ninawiseman87 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• to me... yes. lol I moved my son into his own room when he was 4 months old. BUT that's not to say it's right for you! Every mom is different, i didn't want my son in our room because I felt weird having intimate time with my husband when our son was in the room. lol So I moved him into his own room! :) just make sure there are no soft pillows, blankets and such that will eliminate SIDS. But do it when YOU are ready :)
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I say whatever you are comfortable with. My oldest I kept in our room until 6 months, but he slept in his crib in his room for naps starting around 3 months. My second went to his room at 4 months. Now, with my third, if she had a room she would be in it already. She is two months but she is already sleeping 8 hours so I don't see the need of her sleeping in our room, But until her daddy finishes the third bedroom she is stuck with us. I guess with the more I have the more comfortable I get with moving them. So if she is happy and sleeping soundly in her own bed in your room I wouldn't worry about it. I would also try to do naps and such in the crib first to get her used to it before a total transition.
    Anonymous

• sorry mom i think you're more not ready than she:-p
    its scary with all those SIDS stories out there I understand. Can she roll over yet? If so, then she's 99.9% safe, just depends on what you put in the crib with her. I think she's more than ready. But, she probably will realize at first that you're not in there. So the first few nights may be a little battle. Once she makes it through the first 3 or 4 nights, she'll get that you'll be there when she needs you, but she can sleep without you. Just the obvious, dont put huge stuffed animals in her bed. So, whenever you're ready, go for it!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• It's great you have your baby in your room. If you are breastfeeding and you sleep close you can smell each other's pheromones and your sleep cycles can become in sync. If she is nursing at night you will wake and nurse her perhaps without even remembering. A symbiotic relationship.

Once a child is 12mo the risk of SIDS drops significantly. The most recent SIDS advice is to run a fan in the room when the baby is sleeping.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My daughter slept in her own room at 2 mos!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• i was talking about this with my friend just last night...she has an 8 week old, that is in her room in her crib, but she sleeps in a twin bed right next to her...but the parents room is upstairs, so i understand and wouldnt want to be that far from the new baby either! BUT my son was born oct.1st and would NOT sleep in his bassinet! We put him in his crib about the 4th night, and he sleeps great! we have one of the safe sleepers that doesnt allow him to roll over, and he is great...but its different for me because when we leave his door open, and our door open, when im laying in my bed, i can see his crib...and our monitor is very sensitive so it works for us, but its just whatever you are comfortable with =)
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 1:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I was exactially like you. I had my son in the same room as us, in a basket, then in a play pen. I was too worried about SIDS, I couldnt sleep unless I knew he was becide me while I slept.
    It was my partner who decided it was time to putt him in his own room. By 6 months he was getting big, and he'd still wake up 3 times a night to eat. We didnt get enough sleep, and there was no privacy for 'us' time knowing he was in the room. The first week was the hardest. I was the one not getting enough sleep. I'd wake up every hour.
    -By 6 months he only slept on his tummy. Theres no stopping it, and it's just another thing to stress about.
    -He wouldnt sleep in his crib. Even with bumper pads he would smack his head on the bars when moving around. He was too used to sleeping in a play pen, so Thats where he still sleeps today. It's just in his room.
    -He only wakes up once a night now, and its 100% better.
    ness_033

Answer by ness_033 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I put all 4 of my kids in their crib in their room the night we came home from the hospital. I had/have a really good monitor and my dh and I tested it by having one of us go into the nursery and one of us stay in our room/the living room with the monitor. The one of us in the nursery would whisper and the other one could still hear. If the monitor can pick up a soft whisper - surely it can pick up a baby crying! I turn my monitor all the way down now so I only hear him if he starts "talking" or crying, but if I turned it all the way up I could practically hear him breathe!
    I just value my "alone time" with my dh and feel that babies sleep best when there is nobody there to wake them up by turning over, snoring, etc.

Answer by missanc at 2:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My first child slept in our room until she was 13 months old but only because we lived in a 1 bedroom apartment. My 2nd and 3rd children were in their own room by a month old. I found they slept much better and so did I. With my 4th child I put him in the crib in his brother's room from day 1. I was paranoid and checked on him quite often for the first couple weeks but I'm over that now and only go get him when he cries.

I agree that it's more you not being ready then it is your baby.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 2:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My dd (5 month on Sat) still sleeps in her pack n play next to our bed and I don't care what anyone says!!!! This is what makes us both happy so screw the 'rules'! Enjoy her babyhood and don't add stress to either of you by doing something that doesn't feel right!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2009