High Blood Pressure?

Okay i went to the doc and my blood pressure was 123 over 70 something and the next day i went again (this was my first visit with my new doc) and my BP was 135 over 75. I know the top number is slightly high and the bottom number is fine. But does it mean anything. I am 36 weeks. They didnt say anything but my BPs top number has never been more than 120 something. I dont go back to the doc till i am 38 weeks. Any one who has had high blood pressure during pregnancy would be helpful to me. What were your numbers....Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• with my first son i went to the doc at 38weeks and my BP was 145/85. I was sent to the Lab/Del ER right away. I had preeclampsia and who knows for how long becase i missed my appt before that. I also had blurry vision and my hands would go numb. I did not know those signs meant anything. My BP is normally 90/70 so i knew something was really wrong at the docs.
    Anonymous

• You're fine. Different nurses take your blood pressure differently. The cuff was different, you were in a new office with new people (which makes all of us nervous). It doesn't sound like your BP is going up.

When you have BP problems they will be much higher than baseline consistently. My BP was always in the one-tens over 60's. At 27 weeks it was suddenly 126/86. I controlled it with diet and exercise until about 34 weeks, when it got really high... like 160/110 at it's highest. I managed to hold out on strict bedrest until 38.6 weeks and then I was induced because I was beginning to get pre-eclampsia.

Also, the bottom number is the important one. If the top number is a little high it's okay, we worry about the bottom number getting above the mid 80s.

You can learn to take your BP at home if you're concerned... but I don't think you have anything to worry about :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• A lot of care providers will suggest that your diet can dramatically change your health (and blood pressure). There are some changes for the better that might be worth considering:

Diet for High Blood Pressure

Nutrition during Pregnancy 

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• A study conducted at Harvard University found that by eating at least 75 grams of protein per day, pregnant women could prevent diseases of pregnancy such as preeclampsia (metabolic toxemia of late pregnancy).
    During pregnancy a woman's blood volume increases as much as 40 to 60 percent, and in order to reach this necessary level and maintain it, a woman's body needs adequate protein, salt, calcium, potassium and water from her diet.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• There's a lot of things that can raise blood pressure, including needing to go to the bathroom. You can always stop by a pharmacy that has a blood pressure station before your next appt if you want to keep an eye on it.

Your dr most likely checked for protein in your urine to check for signs of preeclampsia. Sounds like there wasn't if he's fine with not seeing you for another 2 weeks.

I came down with sudden and severe preeclampsia at 33 weeks, with my top number in the 180-190s. My pressure had been on the upper side of normal up to the week before, but in that last week I was retaining a lot of water, started to see flashing lights, and had horrible neck pain I thought was from a sinus infection.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2009