When could your child write their own name or atleast spell it?

I'm asking because I saw in a previous post a little girl that could do this at 18 months and it's got me a little worried because my daughter just turned 3 last week and still can't spell her own name, let alone write it on a piece of paper. She knows how to say it and that's about it. Is that bad? I write it down all the time and spell it out and she'll spell it out WITH me but I know if someone asked her to spell her name she wouldn't be able to.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is 3.5 and can spell his first name, Maison and knows his middle and last name but he can't yet write it. He has the ability to write the letters m, i, s (although its often backwards) and o but the other ones he's still learning to form. I agree with most pervious posters 3 is a good age to start teaching letters and how to write them, but many 4 year olds who are very smart can't yet write every letter, and often even into kindergarten some letters are written backwards by many children. Lots of repetition of the spelling will help, put her name to a song if you can. My son learned to spell his and everyone else's name in his class to the song BINGO. "There was a boy his name is maison and this is how you spell it , M A I S O N..." and so on, most names you can make fit. Tracing letters really helps children learn how to write, along with thicker pencils and crayons and lots and lots of practice :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• i highly doubt that at 18 months and if so, only because the parents pushed it. 3 is a good time to start teaching. don't ever compare your kid to someone else's.

Anonymous

• My daughter could spell he first name in preschool Maiah and her last name in kindergarten.
    I would start teaching your kid at three & let her work at her own pace. i made a song for my kid to help her learn it.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My oldest son learned at 4 in preschool- and believe me- it was barely legible!

My younger two each learned at about 2.5. My daughter has a short easy name, whereas my oldest didn't, so that has something to do with it, too.

My youngest son has the same number of letters as the older one- he just does everything earlier- he's only 17 months younger than my daughter and wants to do everything she does!

SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 12:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• i taught preK for years. I would have some four year olds that could spell their name and others that didn't have a clue, at the end they could all spell their first and last names.. They are all different. My niece went through a year of preK and all she could do was spell her name. She didn't remember any other letters. Some kids it just takes longer to stick. And my nieces older sister knew all the letters by 18 months. But they are pretty much night and day in everything.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, forgot my point lol. Even kids from the same parents learn at different paces. Keep working with her and she'll get it :-) My oldest son is now 9 and in 3rd grade, he writes beautifully and does well in school!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 12:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My daughter could write and spell her first name at the start of preschool and by the end she was writing her last name as well. There are some kids in her kindergarten class that can only do the first name and that is acceptable. No worries, your child will be fine!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• In homeschooled and my children were all around 4-4 1/2 when they could spell and write their names.
    Anonymous

• My kids will be 3 in November and they can spell their 1st and last names out loud and identify their names if written down but not write them out yet.

We learned to spell their names in a song only because they could spell out MICKEY MOUSE with the song, so we turned their names into a song.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 1:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My guy just turned 4 and he can do a pretty nice job writing his name, sometimes needs a little help. They require all the kids in the 4 year old class at school to write their own names on their papers so we worked on it over the summer and he picked it up pretty quickly once we got his grip straight. He's left handed and everyone teaching him is right handed (parents and teachers) so that took a wee while to get straight.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:54 PM on Oct. 19, 2009