Does This Sound Legal?

My husband just called. He was fired for talking to a customer.
He was told it was not allowed(even though he's never been told it was a "no no")

Does that sound legal or right?? He's going to talk to the labor board about it later but I was curious if anyone else knew something or if I was the only one who thought that was an assenine reason?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• I know that Washington and Oregon have a "no clause" fire rule. My hubbie was just fired for something he had never heard of before too. Best is just to go claim unemployment because they will decide whether hubby was in the right or if he fired for good cause. Then you sit back (and look for a job) while the old employer pays you. That's the cool part, except that it is less than what you were making at work.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• never heard of that, what kind of job is it? and wth is he supposed to do if the customer talks to him first, just ignore them?

Anonymous

• Most of the time an employer can fire someone for any reason or no reason at all. They want to give a reason so they can get out of paying unemployment. It sucks. That's part of the reason unions exist.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Ya we live in an "at will" state so this is something they can use against him.
    He's a mechanic/emissions inspector.
    Anonymous

• Sounds pretty dumn. Seems like they should like it if he was talking to a customer PR work is always good!!
    patchthatpays

Answer by patchthatpays at 1:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Thanks everyone!
    Anonymous