could a filthy house make you sick? if so how quickly?

like i mean FILTHY... mold in the fridge and counters crusted with food..pans and plates piled up for god only knows how long..cat poop( fresh and old) on the floor(litter box is really a rubbermaid tote..but full to the brim in which the cat won't use it..it needs cleaned) i am wondering how quickly this could make you sick... and no its not my house(i would never let my house get this way) i just noticed a friends i have had for awhile has really gotten bad...i hadn't been over for awhile and yesterday i witnessed everything mentioned above...and i fear for her children's health....i wonder if everything is ok though cause i have been there before and yeah it would be "lived in" messy but never ever like this...i am really worried.( sorry so long)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• It can but not if you were there just for a little while\
    I know people that live like that and never get sick
    Anonymous

• The mold and feces I think could make the kids sick over time. I'm sure you are okay because you were only there a little while. Maybe the mom is feeling over whelmed, why don't you try to nicely offer her some help in getting it back in running order.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• it would make me sick, and I think cats are filthy beasts anyway. Call CLEAN HOUSE!!!!
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Is something wrong with her? Depression? Maybe you could lightly broach the subjuect and offer to come for a day of cleaning, and yes it can make you sick, all you would have to do is come in contact with any number of pleasant little bacteria--e coli, strep, something worse and you would be sick pretty quick. Cat poop is of great concern, ringworm, tapeworms, etc... I think something is going on with your friend, I think she might need some help-- see what you can do, it is good of you to be concerned, and yes children are removed from homes due to this, but if it is not in her nature there is a big new problem at hand. If she isn't cleaning at all, do you think she is going to the store? Making dinner? If one of those kids eat spoiled food, oh it could be bad!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• she probably has alot goin on and is too ashamed to seek help. she could very easily lose the kids to cps if she doesn't act fast. make sure she isn't in an abusive relationship or on drugs(these issues can impact a woman to the point of losing care about anything and i do mean anything). my sis was in almost the same situation but not that bad as compared to your friends. she got fed up w her abuser and the ondition of the house and seeked help by calling cps herself. cps came out did an assesment and had her and her kids evacuate to a shelter. reach out to her and find out what's causing her to stop caring because it is something!!! good luck and God bless
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• It would probably take a couple weeks to develop breathing problems. It takes a while for inhaled dust to break down and be expelled from the lungs so it will just build up. but Ive heard of CPS taking kids away because of filthy living conditions so I'm sure there are greater health risks associated with dirty living than just breathing problems.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• yeah maybe she is overwhelmed...i offer to help she snapped saying nothing is wrong with her or her house...and i am not worried about me being sick( i can deal with that) just her two year old boy and 6 month old girl becoming sick...i have worried about her lately with her attitude with her kids...just didn;t know she let the house go to hell too..i think she needs help and won't take it from me so where do i get her help or info without being mean??
    Anonymous

• What's wierd is the kids may be really healthy. They are finding in studies it's the kids that live clean lives that have more problems with allergies and getting sick.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Yes.

Mold can make people very sick. Allergies, asthma, lung damage and more.

The cat feces can carry bacteria that can make people very sick. Salmonella, parasites, and even plague.

The old food can grow mold, which can cause respitory problems and can carry poisons that can make you sick.

I can't imagine a house being that filthy, it makes me seriously think that she is probably depressed.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

___
    To a point, I agree. The kids who live inside a germ free bubble are the ones who will get sick the first time a germ penetrates that bubble. Kids who reguarly come into contact with germs build up a tolerance to them. But in a house THAT bad, I don't think it applies. There is a reason why they are called a health hazard. If it truly is that bad, the health department would get involved if you called them.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2009