I know I am crazy but any travel savy moms or flight attetndants. . . . .

I am flying with a will be 2 year old and a 4.5 year old. All by myself. I am taking two FAA approved car seats. I have to change planes once. Now I have a plan for during the flight. But changing planes I am scared. I have two hours between flights to change planes. Any suggestions???? I will have two car seats, the two girls and each girl will have a back pack on and I will have the diaper bag/ carry on. I am thinking of using those baggae carriers but I am not sure if you can take those after you get threw security and between planes. Suggestions, advice, tricks, hints????

DevilInPigtails

Asked by DevilInPigtails at 1:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Travel

• so it is an 8-9 hour flight which can be long but it sounds like you have a lot to keep them occupied. For us snacks are very important because it never seems like you have enough time to have a meal when the little ones are hungary. Usually if you buy one of those luggage carts you cannot take it to security but you can purchase another one once you get through secuirty.I kind of think that it is one of their ways to rip you off but what isn't.Good luck and just make sure that you go with the flow and take your time. The more stressed that you are the less patience you will have with your little ones. Also the flight attendant are usually very helpful. My hardest part of flying is getting all of our carry ons, children and car seats to our seats and I almost always get asked if I need help from a worker and sometime just random people.We flew 4 times last year by ourselves so if you have any questions feel free to ask!!
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I would check the car seats. I have traveled by myself and the carseats just are a pain to hull around and the kids can move around better when not in them.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• ask the airline for a porter to help you. I had to do that witha wheelchair and a broken leg.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• PP is right check the car seats, they are not required and seriously--god forbid if the plane crashes not much good! If you must take them they will send one of those little cars to take you to your next plane! Have lots of goodies ready, but remember you can only take your purse and a carry on! A portable DVD player would be good for the layover. When you get to the airport to check in, ask the agent if they have anything with a shorter lay over--sometimes they will take pity and change you to one, if not, make it an adventure and if the 2 year old can chew gum let her, if not buy her a sucker for take off and landing, helps the ears, hopefully the 4 year old can chew gum! Have a great trip!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• yea, check the car seats, that's just a pain in the butt. Travel with things ONLY nessesary. 2 hours is pleanty of time to changed planes
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I need the car seats this is a cross country trip so it is all day and they will only nap in strapped in so they have to come. Plus they travel really well in them. As far as activities I have two doodle pros, leapster 2 with a new game, color wonder coloring books, two new reading books, and I am going to bring the portable video player, and look and see if I can find one more toy with head phone jacks each. Also each child has ear phones. I will have a book for me. What exactly does a porter do? I know they will help with wheel chairs but car seats? And can you get those baggage carriers while in the terminal?

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• If you cant get one of those guys in a cart to haul you around, they do have luggage carts that may be of some help. They are kind of small and do cost money though. They are available throughout the terminals.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 10:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Ignore the fools who think a seatbelt on a 2 year old will save it if the airplane hits turbulance.
    The youngest needs a carseat. The older child you might do without-depending on how tall she is.
    You can strap a carseat to a high quality luggage cart (the fold up kind) I took MANY flights with my youngest son this way. You can strap the youngest one into the carseat and wheel her around (did this for 8 hours once myself-during a long delay) The older one can probably pull her own seat, or you can wheel them both.
    IF your carseats are narrow enough they will wheel right down the airplane aisle. Then you unstrap them and are good to go. You will need to board first (unstrapping takes time. And get off last-I would re-strap the seat on the concourse, not in the plane-you need room.
    The flight attendent usually helped me off the plane (I had the carseat, backpack, child and luggage cart) then I would stop and re-strap the
    Tea4Tas

Answer by Tea4Tas at 6:57 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• seat, and wheeel off. they also make seats with wheels on them-but they are expensive and would only be worth it if you travelled a lot. I never got them because my son was heavy and they go up to 40 pounds only.
    Tea4Tas

Answer by Tea4Tas at 6:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• if you really want to take them on the plane with you, make sure they are not to wide cause they may not fit in the seat correctly. i had this problem when we took ours ones, i have never taken on the plane again!! huge huge hassle
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 7:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2009