Awkward convo w/ kids. How would you respond?

Been with my 2nd husband 7 years, married for 5 1/2, We have one young adult child each, out on their own. And together we have 6 at home. Toddler triplets and a PreK kiddo (ours) John 19 (his) and Jane (mine) who will be 16 on Thanksgiving day.

John has worked at same job since he was 14 and "legal". He's doing well in college working on being a locksmith and taking over his Grandpas business. Works at a year round resort, started young as dishwasher now co manages the catering aspect.
Jane is in all advanced classes, a volley ball star, sorts clothes at Goodwill, runs any marathon she's old enough for, and is a joy. John got her a ski instructor job at the resort and she's ecstatic. Recently they sat me down (literally) in a very formal manner and asked permission to casually date since they'd be carpooling to work, etc... it just occurred naturally to them. It's "my call" apparently they wont w/out blessing. I am numb.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• What's the harm? They're both good kids, and they like each other. Let them. What if it's love? You don't want to be in the way of that :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• So they're step siblings??? I've seen it done before... I could never do it... but to each their own I guess.....
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Are you asking us what we think you should say to your 19 and 16 yo step siblings who want to DATE!? Is this for real?
    Anonymous

• Ati: the harm is that this is not a healthy relationship. It's mom's job to advise accordingly. Really!?
    Anonymous

• I don't know about this one. I'd say no. Just because if it doesn't work out, it will put a huge strain on family gatherings and how will it look to their other siblings. I know its called 'step' but I'd see them as brother and sister and just say I don't think its a good idea
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 2:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2009