How long do dogs remember you?

And do they get sad if they only see you every once in a while?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Pets

• We recently got rid of our 9 year old Daschund. He bit our son so he moved in with my mom on July 15th. He's been an angel there! I went to my moms about 3 days later and he thought I was coming to take him home, he whined for 2 hours after I left. About 2 weeks later, my husband and I went with our son to my moms, he totally remembered us. Thought he was coming home with us again and my mom said he whined for about 20 minutes after we left. I went back to my moms a month ago, he remembered us, but didn't whine when we left. My husband, son and I just went there this weekend to feed him and let him out, he totally remembered us again, especially my husband (they were really close). He remembered him so much that when my husband got a pepsi from the fridge he thought it was a beer and went to his bowl hoping for some! LOL. But he whined a little when we left, climbed up in the window and watched us leave. He knows he's home now
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Dogs can remember a long time. Months maybe years. I don't know if they know how to tell for sure. They do get sad when they don't get to see people they like. It depends on the dog. Some dogs are not very smart and don't seem to care as much about their environment as long as their needs are met. Some dogs are very smart and become attached to a person. Service dogs are a good example.

There is a story of an elephant that was brought to an elephant rescue. As soon as she got there she and this other elephant started getting all excited and were trying to get to each other. They let them loose and they started loving on each other. It turns out they lived at the same place decades earlier. I saw it on TV.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I had to move to Arizona from Indiana for medical treatment and leave my dog behind with my family. When they moved to Arizona 4 months later there was no question she knew who I was and was my dog again. My oldest son had been taking extra special care of her and I think he was a little hurt. He had lost his job and all he did all day for that 4 months was take care of my dog, walking her and brushing her and stuff. He was her second favorite.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• There's a wonderful video on youtube about a soldier coming home after 14 months and his dogs going CRAZY when he walks in the door. It makes me cry every time. They obviously know exactly who he is by their reaction (it goes well beyond a normal welcome wag). Google it, if only for a feel good moment. :)

deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 3:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• We had a German Shepherd board at my work for a year and a half while her owner was in Iraq and she instantly rememered him when he came to pick her up. It was such a sweet moment. You could tell he missed his dog so much. And she was SO excited. She practically jumped right into his arms.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• It can vary from dog to dog but they can remember for a long time. I used to work at a doggie daycare/ training facility and most of the dogs had very good memory. There was an akita that i was pretty much every day since she was 6 weeks old up until she was about three. Lennie's mama was an assistant trainer like myself so we spent a lot of time together. Well her owner left and i did not see Lennie for about a year maybe two. We went to a training coferance and i was sitting behind them. Lennie was watching me and you could see on her face that she knew me but could not place me. All of a sudden she leaps up crashing through the chairs because it dawned on her that she knew who i was and she was excited.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2009