How does this make you feel?

In March, he was laid off from his job as a raw materials coordinator for a plastics company called PolyOne, where he'd worked for 20 years. His severance package had provided several months' salary, but by August the paychecks were winding down. Soon the cost of his family health coverage was going to triple, then a few months after that, nearly triple again. They needed coverage so Mom could fight her cancer.

Dad's solution: a four-year hitch in the Army.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/64677772.html

Man forced to join the Army to keep health care to treat his wifes ovarian cancer

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it would be great if the politicians would get their head out of their rear ends and REFORM HC not take it over But REFORM it so that stories like this wouldnt have to happen. Instead you have people like Pelosi and others that just want what they want how they want it and to hell with everyone else! HOWEVER this is a great story about a person willing to do anything it takes to take care of his family and THAT is awesome.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I'm sure he would have taken ANY job that offered health insurance. He wasn't FORCED, he enlisted. No one pinned him down and forced him to enlist.

How do I feel? I'm glad his wife will get treatment. I'm glad he has a job. I'm glad he chose to work, rather than go on the dole.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• How do I feel? I'm glad his wife will get treatment. I'm glad he has a job. I'm glad he chose to work, rather than go on the dole.
    ______
    Ditto
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I think it sucks that this man , at 39, had to enlist. Who wants someone next to them that is almost 40 with no real experience and felt they NEEDED to go there??? You comfortable with HIM as your cover??

The burden always falls to the poor, no rich people or politicians ever have to make these types of decisions
    Anonymous

• WOW!! Someone actually being RESPONSIBLE and doing what has to be done to support his family!!!! Kudos to him for being a real man!

I often wonder why those that are jobless and out of benefits/have not benefits don't join the military. They should at least consider the guard. Just because you join the military doesn't mean you will be called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• The burden always falls to the poor, no rich people or politicians ever have to make these types of decisions

That's not true. My husband came from a very well to do family. He joined the military because he loves flying really fast jets! He has been in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    Anonymous

• He was NOT forced. He chose to volunteer his time and service. There were no mandates for him to join. He knew the risks of committing time and service to the armed forces. If he wasn't willing to accept all that comes with it, he shouldn't have volunteered! Otherwise, kudos to him for signing on to a respectable commitment and service to this nation.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Sorry, but no one forced him to do that. So that pretty much screws the whole premise of your question.

The fact is if he decided to do that he was being a real man, doing whatever it took to take care of his family. why don't more people take things into their own hands. They automatically think oh I need to go file for unemployment and when that is up they allow themselves to become homeless, to tear their families apart or just to whine about it. If you lose your job you need to think only of what you can do(including selling everything and moving) to provide for your family. Joining the sevice is a noble thing to do for your family and your country.
    Sometimes life throws us lemons and only the best of us will make lemonade.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Wow! What a hero! Taking care of his wife and children no matter what!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• The burden always falls to the poor, no rich people or politicians ever have to make these types of decisions That's not true. My husband came from a very well to do family. He joined the military because he loves flying really fast jets! He has been in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The difference, one by choice

the other by necessity

Anonymous