what's considered a fever in a 3 week old?

My 3 week old has a temp of 98.3, is this normal? What's considered a fever in a baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Human's normal (average) body temperature is 98.6. 98.3 is acceptable for an infant.
    ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 2:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• When I was discharged from the hospital with my baby( now 9 months) they told me 100.4 and higher is considered a fever in an infant. Babies can't regulate their body temps like we adults do. Adults temps are 98.6. My daughter has had fevers since she was born but everytime I called her ped, he said not to worry about it. It never got up to 100.4 . I wouldn't worry about 98.3 its actually a little under, which is totally normally for infants. If it really concerns you, don't hesitate at call the doc. They're used to new parents asking all kinds of questions
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Most babies will vary any where from about 98-99 degrees and that is completely normal for them. Anything over 100.1 is what we were told by our pediatricians. Since PP was told 100.4, I would imagine right in there is kind of what most doctors consider a fever in an infant. Up until about 100, it could be very normal. And most pediatricians have heard every question ever asked by parents. Especially first time parents. And the parents like me that are a bit neurotic. So you should definitely feel comfortable calling for every question you may have. I can almost guarantee, the doctors have answered it before.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I was told 100.6 an higher!
    Anonymous

• we go by 100.4 and higher at the children's hospital I work at, but if your child is between 100 and 100.2 and is acting lethargic and not eating or putting out wet diaper then call the dr. we always say treat the pt not the fever, so if the child is acting normal at 100.4 she just may have on to many layers among other things.
    austynsmama

Answer by austynsmama at 4:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• 100.4 RECTAL; TEMP
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2009