Muslim mommies

What's your opinions on Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. Of fantasy books that have magic in them and fantasy creatures.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My mom bought my 10 yr old a big Harry Potter set of dvds, games, and something else for his birthday. I was not happy but didn't say anything. I don't think it is appropriate and he doesn't watch or play with the things in the set anymore. They are sitting in his closet because I hate to waste her money. I guess eventually I Have to throw it out. He was a big Harry Potter fan but I am not ok with it.

I also do not allow Wizards of Waverly place anymore and I used to like that too.

Hopefully another more knowledgeable Muslim Mom can say why its not ok. I read something once and that led me to my thoughts that it is not good and it was specifically about Harry Potter. No clue where to find the info though :(

My kids do understand it is not real though.

GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 3:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Magic is prohibited in Islam. So books or programs that make it seem "fun" or "harmless" are not deemed appropriate.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 3:54 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Can muslims eat pork? wear jewellery?
    Anonymous

• In Islam it is prohibited to eat pork.

And it is prohibited for males to wear gold jewlery.

And the women is told not to wear jewelry to bring attention to her while she is out of the house, for example like ankle bands with bells on.

Jewelry is not so much prohibited, but in Islam excess in all things should be avoided, moderation and the middle path is recommended. In a religion were charity and the welfare (in theory) of the community are emphasised, it is some times looked down upon to "display" for show, and some recomend avoiding it to prevent the bad eye.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 1:15 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• So Muslims cannot eat the unclean animals listen in Leviticus of the bible? Has to have a cloven hoof chew the cud to be safe to eat rules and stuff? Also wedding bands are fine but no excess jewellery, like necklaces and such? How about piercings? Tattoos? If I am coming off as anything negative I am truly not meaning it. I am sincerely curiouse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Well to be honest I dont know the animals listed in Leviticus, -- The prohibitions (haram) in the Quran are actually not that many, although clear. I will list a verse below inshallah. But it is mentioned specifically in the Quran that we were given sheep , goats camels, and oxen, --- camels are mentioned as beasts of burden, oxen as tilling the soil, so although you can and do eat them , sheep and goats are seen by most as the meat which is nornally eaten. In the hadith donkeys and beasts with a fang are also mentioned as prohibtited, but as you may know the hadith are classified according to the reliabilty of authenticity, and I dont know the classifications of these hadith.
    It is not normal for men to wear jewelry except perhaps a ring, as long as it isnt gold, Women can wear jewlry, like necklaces as long as it does not bring attention out of the house, if its under clothing or something no problem. -- CONTINUED
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 1:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• If shes in the house with her family she can stick the whole lot on and jangle it to her hearts content LOL. (((sorry not being rude just got a wacky sense of humour ))).

tattoos are strictly forbidden. --- Piercings well at a personal level i dont like them but thats just me and thats not what your asking LOL, -- I think they are permitted as long as it is something that is locally and culturally accepted, but you are not allowed to imitate a different culture, thats what it seems to be from my readings , but to be honest i'm not completely sure.( I dont have any ) so dont take my word for it. LOL perhaps someone else knows better can answer.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 2:02 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Heres a quranic verse with the prohibitions.

Al-Maeda [5:3] Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah, that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; that which hath been (partly) eaten by a wild animal; unless ye are able to slaughter it (in due form); that which is sacrificed on stone (altars); (forbidden) also is the division (of meat) by raffling with arrows: that is impiety. This day have those who reject Faith given up all hope of your religion: yet fear them not but fear Me. This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed my favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But if any is forced by hunger, with no inclination to transgression, Allah is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 2:07 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Thank you all for your answers :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• You are very welcome, !!!
    If you want to ask anything else, this post seems dead LOL, you can do it here !!!!
    I'll check it from time to time Godwilling (inshallah)
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 8:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2009