How can I get my kids to take their naps?

My daughter is 3 years old and my son is almost 2. I put them to bed for their nap after lunch time or around 1pm. It's 2 hours later and they are still awake and playing and crying and fussing. I have done everything I can. Every day that this happens I get a headache that lasts for the rest of the day. I can't even clean or rest or anything because every 2 minutes I'm in there telling them to lay down. I've tried the ignoring them and letting them get tired and fall asleep and their own. No use. Please help me keep my sanity!!
By the way they aren't in day care or preschool or anything. We are moving in January so we can't really start anything now, besides the fact of not having the money for that anyways.
So what do you think would help?

AmandaI1021

Asked by AmandaI1021 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• let them stay up some kids don't need to nap
    Anonymous

• they may be done with naps i hate to say....my two were done by the time they were two...i could NEVER get them to go down...they would just play in thier rooms instead...but you know thats okay! i say just let them have a "quiet time" instead of nap time...just babygate them in their room for an hour and let them play....its not harmful and i dont think there is anything wrong with it...and if they DO nap all the better! but after an hour if they havent fallen asleep yet and are still playing or fussing then just let them get up.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Maybe they are just done with naps. My oldest stopped taking naps just after she turned 2. By the time she was 3 she wasn't napping at all ever. She's 9 now and the only time I've ever seen her take a nap since she was 3 was when she was sick.

My youngest is 3 1/2 now and she rarely naps. I only make her go lie down when she is super cranky. Usually she falls asleep after screaming at us for 10 minutes that she isn't tired, lol.
    Also, for my older kids, I ended up having to separate them to get them to sleep (bed time or nap time). My son in his room, my oldest in the girls' room and my middle daughter in my room. Otherwise they stayed up the whole time playing with each other. They still do. They share a room, bedtime is 8pm and they are usually up until 9-9:30pm goofing off. But I no longer have room to separate them at bedtime.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My kids stopped taking naps around 2 1/2, but we did the quiet time too. Actually, we still have a quiet time - now that they are older we call it "reading time" where they have to stay in their rooms for 1/2 hour - used to be an hour when they were younger.

Answer by missanc at 3:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I agree with Blueeyedgrl. If they have a tv in thier room I would put on a movie and tell them when the movie is over they can come out. That way they will be entertained and you can still get stuff done. Good Luck Girl!
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• i am not there yet with my xon but i always laid my neices down at two, sometimes they napped and sometime they won't they were 1 and 4 at the time tho, if ur lil one's are done with the naps then just find something that will keep them still or entertained for a while, while u clean.. now i just put on a movie and they sit there or the oldest one she is 7 will go play guitar hereo, and the youngest will just sit on the couch and watch a movie Good luck
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My kids have quiet time every day. I tell them that they can look at books or play with quiet toys on their beds. This helps them wind down and many times they fall asleep with out any problems. If they don't sleep and they get cranky, then I would put them to bed earlier. Good luck.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 5:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• If they don't want to why make them? Maybe they will just go to bed early.
    Anonymous

• Can you put them in a double stroller when you know that they are tired and ready for their naps and walk around the block until they fall asleep? A stroller ride always worked wonders with my kids.
    arieslivinlife

Answer by arieslivinlife at 7:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• sounds like naptime is done.

mine stopped at around 18 months.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2009