If you delay vax...

when will your child/did your child get the MMR???
My daughter is scheduled for her 15 month appt next week and I know the issue will come up. I have chosen to delay this vax, but when is it recommended to get it on the delayed schedule? (I would, and probably will look it up but between baby and school I have little time)

kristal2146

Asked by kristal2146 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• we waited until last month.. almost 3. only because i needed to register him in a daycare and he needed it
    cespranger

Answer by cespranger at 4:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• If you homeschool I would wait until the teens if at all. Rubella is bad for pregnant women to get so you should have immunity before getting pregnant if that is a concern for you. Mumps can be bad for teen boys and men.

If your kids go to school then you probably don't want to risk them going to school without the immunizations. These diseases do still exist and schools are such horrible places to catch diseases.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• You could skip it :)
    The measles, although CAN have problems along with it, isn't terrible in most. Sort of like the chicken pox. Most still view the chicken pox as a mild disease...but some people are affected terribly by it.
    I personally would never do the MMR. Notice how another poster said it's Rubella is bad for pregnant women, mumps is bad for men. Well, let the children get these diseases and gain life long immunity, instead of getting a vaccine that wears off over time.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I am going to wait til 3..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Guess what....getting the disease doesn't provide any more immunity than the vaccination does. You can get them again, and the older you are when you get them...the more serious the potential complications (such as sterility from Chicken Pox in older teen boys)

Oh, and the chances of catching a disease at school are about the same as going shopping at the grocery store.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I have to say that my daughter is fully vax'ed. Even for the H1N1. Yup. I feel that they are at such a prime age and as you know, my daughter does go to Pre-School I thought it would be best to keep her up to date. If you are planning on sending your little one to pre-school your best bet is to get it before she goes. Pre-school now looks at the vax records. (Mine are not completely up to date due to her turning 4 this year) but, I wanted to make sure Lily was protected against everything. Just my opinion. :) I say, if you don't want your little one to get vax'ed right now wait till she is going to be entering school. Just know...the more shots you hold off on...the more she has to get later on. :)
    buggaandmommy

Answer by buggaandmommy at 9:49 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• rubella has been shown to be related to austism, has been recognized since the 1950's .... i dont want to get my son his last MMR... i bet i will wait till he is in his teens. delayed vax kids usually get one shot everytime they get a check up so that you can get them all done but not at once.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:24 AM on Oct. 20, 2009