Will your cable carrier keep FOX?

I posted these articles over on another question, but the info is likely to get lost.

"News Corp. pursuing Fox retransmission fees"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i9f25616ad2abf49d0aea5b16a9e7de89#

Short version? He's looking for cable carriers to pay for carrying his networks. That would likely translate to higher subscription fees for you.

My take? It's probably the only way he CAN go, with ad revenues down. The question is whether cable subscribers will be willing to pay.

Asked by gdiamante at 3:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well if my cable company drops em then I will get a different network that has it. I am not about to only hear the lefts side anymore. I used to be an MSNBC junkie during Bush's reign... but now that they don't criticize or question anything Obama does. I just can not possibly watch the butt kissing for more then 20 mins.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I have dish network, I can't imagine them not carrying it...
    Anonymous

• I have directTV and I don't see them dropping Fox either. All politics aside, I often go strictly to FOX network for all my other news, it seems like they are the first to break any cover story...for instance the other day for me it was FOX that covered the story of the 6 year old in balloon first..which was a hoax but still on the other channels they were covering other stuff..ans then after I got the whole story I surfed through CNN and MSNBC and they didn't even have all the story..I already knew more then those channels knew...I guess it is all in how you want to get your news...
    LilCaprica

Answer by LilCaprica at 3:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I have satellite. I will never have cable again. I can't imagine my satellite company dropping Fox. Plus, I have XM radio, and they air fox news and some of the commentaries as well.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• We had our cable company block Faux News many years ago.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• "it seems like they are the first to break any cover story..."

Typically they are. I think they've built one hell of a news gathering operation that gets overshadowed by the opinion section.

Rupert *could* splinter the operation if he wanted, making one part "FOX News" and the other "FOX Talks" and make barrels of money with TWO networks.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Rupert *could* splinter the operation if he wanted, making one part "FOX News" and the other "FOX Talks" and make barrels of money with TWO networks.

Didn't they already kind of do that with Fox Financial? Basically the Fox equivalent of CNBC/MSNBC? I doubt they'd quit carrying it here - our cable company has a monopoly, they don't NEED an excuse to raise their rates. They do it for fun.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• gdiamante..they could also do like a Fox Political channel...something like that and completely separate that from the actual FOX News channel..JMO
    LilCaprica

Answer by LilCaprica at 4:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• LOL...we also have satellite and XM radio...in my car! But, to answer your question, yes I would pay more money in order to eliminate having to listen to only liberal leaning viewpoints!

If it were the other way around, liberals would absolutely pay more money NOT to have to listen to conservative leaning shows--you know you would! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I don't really care, but if enough people complain to their cable provider they might be able to convince them otherwise

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2009