I have always wondered what it would be like to be a SAHM as far as money being spent on things that you like goes... What arrangement do you have with your SO for spending money on things you like for yourself or your kids, things you don't necessarily need but want?

I am not bashing... I am just curious. Like, do you have an allowance or do you have to ask permission... that is what I am asking.

ProudMom_5703

Asked by ProudMom_5703 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 1 (-7 Credits)
  • I don't have to ask permission nor do I get an allowance. I get to spend what I want, but it's not like I'm going to go crazy and then we can't pay the rent, y'know.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I'm the one who actually handles the money in our family, as far as keeping up the check book, paying bills, etc. Typically we discuss the purchase of any want items for either of us before making a purchase.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 3:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I handle the money . My husband is horrible with money LOL.
    But things that we dont need and just want we talk about it research prices and then save up for it.
    Anonymous

• I create a suitable budget and when our check is cashed I sort the cash into envelopes. Any left over money is divided equally and when its gone its gone!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 3:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• No, I do not have an allowance or have to ask for permission.

We have a joint account and we each have debit cards. I actually control the finances. I do our budget and pay the bills, so I know exactly what we have (or don't have) each month. If there is something I want and we have the money, I buy it. Usually talking to DH first, depending on what it is. If there is something DH wants, he talks to me about how much we have and asks if it's okay to buy it.

I actually don't buy a lot of things for myself. I always end up buying stuff for the kids, so DH encourages me to spend money on myself. He's always asking me if there's anything I want.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I used to handle the money, too. So, if anything, he was asking me permission to spend money on stuff he wanted because I knew how much was in the account.
    Now he takes care of that (if you call what he does taking care of it). I can't handle the stress any more. In either case I always talked to him first before buying anything more then like $20-$30 just in case he was planning on using it for something. And we always discuss larger purchases before buying anything.
    My husband usually lets me get whatever I want if we have the money for it. Just last week I spent $60 at Jo-Ann Fabrics.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Nope, no allowance.... We talk about everything, but Hubby doesn't care what I buy. We have a joint account for bills, and then our own accounts for things we want/need... It works for us.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• We follow the Dave Ramsey plan, so we sit down together and decide a budget, and usually each of us gets a certain amount of blow money to spend on whatever we want. Beyond that, we discuss it because we don't keep much excess just laying around.
    Anonymous

• We also follow Dave's plan. Talk about nearly everything. only thing I don't need to actually consult him on is food shopping, since I can keep our food budget WAY lower than he ever could.
    MamaMay007

Answer by MamaMay007 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• We kind of have a budget. I know how much all the bills usually are, so I tell him how much to put in the bank for those then food money, then the list of things we need (we only go to the big stores like walmart twice a month, on payday usually). After that there is usually a fair amount of cash left over and we will save a portion of that, a portion goes to eating out and such, and the rest is ours to spend. We don't always split it 50/50 but we will both put it towards something we both want. DH wanted a 360 and I like an occasional game as well, so we both put our spare money towards it for several months to get it.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2009