Pagan/Wiccan moms. Question about celebrating Yule

Hi ladies! Im wiccan and i celebrate all the Sabbats and Esbats. This year for Yule my husband doesnt get it that we don't celebrate Christmas anymore. It is a habit to say the words "Christmas" because we been celebrating it for ever but i never actually celebrated it because of "Jesus" and neither did my husband. We both did dinner on the 24th (before we met) and opened at least one present on the 24th and morning of the 25th we opened presents. Never we included prayer or church. I have a few questions and to get some help. He thinks because now that i am wiccan i wont celebrate it with food and presents but that is not true. It will be on a diff day but i wont call it christmas and we wont do it on Dec 24-25. I was thinking of printing info on Yule, Colors, the meaning, what to do and eat. about the tree/presents. So he understands its almost the same but with out the word christmas and the dates. Cont...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• so when he got home i would just give him all the research i done about Yule/Winter solstice and he can read it then me explaining because for me personally i cant explain things very well. What are other things i can do to educate him in this? He has no religion at all. we where both catholic but never attended church or prayed. He believes in certain things that i do but iw ont make him be a wiccan just because. Its his choice but to compromise in a marriage we are celebrating all holidays my way and hes okay with it. but hes concerned about "Christmas" because for him that holiday is a big deal out of every other.
    Anonymous

• you can celebrate both yule and christmas (minus jesus/god)..my family does lol
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I am Pagan, My DH is technically Christian... Although more than anything he's just agnostic. What you will find is that most Pagan Traditions and Christian/Secular traditions are the same... We actually do both. We only use decorations that apply to both and the kids get half their gifts on Yule and half on Christmas...  If he is okay doing only Yule, that's great. Really it's the same thing for those without set beliefs. I would send you to http://www.netglimse.com/holidays/yule/traditions_.shtml. There you will see how similar the two are and if he feels more comfortable by incorporating some of his favorite traditions it's very do able. The biggest change is the name. And it will take a while before he's used to saying Yule and not Christmas... 

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Well decide what you're going to celebrate first. Yule is Heathen. Solstice is Wiccan, and you can find a half dozen other named holidays to go with the season to go with different branches of paganism. There's no rule that says you can only do one, but you aren't going to find a catch-all "Wiccan Yule" because really, there is no such thing.

A traditional Yule doesn't happen on the 24th, but you can have it then for convenience. It involves a huge feast, starting at sundown when you light the log. You are to provide gifts for all your guests, and have them displayed when they arrive. There is sumbel until about midnight (can go later) at which point you eat. Obviously, the more kids involved, this gets tweaked. The kids leave grass/veggies for Slepnir, and in return Odin leaves them small gifts in their socks. The party goes til dawn, at which point everyone passes out, then when they wake up they go home.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I did decide and we are not going to do anything for Dec 24-25th because it all comes down to food and presents to my husband. he still wants to do that and i have told him it wont be on those days. If i just never celebrated anything and i said we are not opening presents because we wont be buying it and not eating. I think he would be mad. But thats not what i am going for. Im just going to print out info on Yule, traditions and what not.
    Anonymous

• We still celebrate Christmas too. Its more a cultural thing than a religious day. I've never associated xmas with religion to be honest. Its just a day for presents, family, great food, and being  thankful for our family.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• We do both...
    On Yule I will give my dh and gs a gift and we will have a few friends over for a few drinks... but I am the only Wiccan, dh is Christian and gs is 8 and learning...so for us we incorpate both Yule and it's meaning along with Christmas and the Christians version along with the culture version that it has become...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Have you bothered to ask your husband what he wants or are you going to tell him what to do and if he doesn't like it, too bad? A lot of non-Christians celebrate the holiday for sentimental reasons that have nothing to do with religion.
    Anonymous