does it matter what the age suggestion on a binky is?

we never noticed (dont ask me how) that the binkys have different age suggestions. we know they are different sizes but does it really matter what the age suggestion is? ds is 2 months old but he likes the ones that say 6 months better than the others.

mrsjedwards

Asked by mrsjedwards at 3:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think it really is just becuase of the size. some babies gag on the bigger ones. but if your son is happy with it, then i think he's just fine with the big ones.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Yes! If you get one that's too old for a baby they gag because the pacifier is too big. If you get one that's too young for them they can shove the whole thing in their mouth which is a choking hazard.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Really, you just don't want to give a size bigger than the one in your child's age group. So if you child was 6 months, you wouldn't give one that was suggested for 18 months. Other than that, go with what your child's and your preference is. Oh, and I am sure you will catch heat for your two year old still using a pacifier. Just be prepared. My daughter is 20 months and will use any of the NUK pacifiers regardless of the size or age rating.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• In every pacifier I have ever used, the little rim is the same size regardless of the age thing and I couldn't fit the whole thing in my mouth and I have a big freaking mouth. You just don't want a young child gagging on a binky nipple that is meant for a toddler.
    Anonymous

• hes only 2 months, not 2 years. and he is really big for his age. so if its just about them gagging because of the size than he is fine. good to know :) thanks
    mrsjedwards

Answer by mrsjedwards at 4:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• my dd is a lmost 5 months and her favorite nuk is for "3+ months", i'm sure smaller is fine, I'm not sure about giving them a bigger one but honestly all babies have different sized mouths so as long as your baby isn't gagging on it I'm sure it's fine!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Totally read over that 2 months part, sorry. I just saw the 2. If he isn't gagging, then really, I wouldn't worry about it. Odds are, he is fine with it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• my daughter will only use the 0+ NUK ones and she is 7 months old. I guess the others are too big for her to suck on comfortably. So whatever they like the best and arent choking on.
    dolphinstar79

Answer by dolphinstar79 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2009