Milk & your toddler.....

My dd is 14 mo. old and just in the last 2 -3 weeks has just kinda stopped drinking much milk. She was drinking like 2-3 8 oz. bottles per day and I have taken her off the bottle completely ( she was kinda already weening herself). If she drinks 4-6 oz. of whole milk a day that is it. She does eat cheese and some other dairy things but just doesn't seem to have much interest in drinking her milk. Have any of you mom's had this similar problem & how much milk should she be drinking for her age?

slynnb

Asked by slynnb at 4:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Only give her milk or water to drink. Fruits should be chewed. See what happens when her only choice is milk or water. Call the pediatrician for advice from him if you have health concerns.

ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 4:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• If she eats cheese, yogurt and other diary products she doesn't need much milk. At the WIC office they asked me if my son was drinking x amount of milk everyday. (i think they said 16 oz) and i said NO! Milk is a contributing factor to many respiratory problems. ...so she asked me if we eat a lot of cheese and yogurt. Yes. we do. so she wasn't worried.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Humans don't need cow's milk. She can get plenty of nutrients and calcium from other foods. Spinach, kale, broccoli, sprouts, and some cabbages have tons of calcium. If she is getting a variety of other foods then don't worry.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I do only give her 1 glass of juice a day in the morning. At meals she had either water or milk to drink.
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 4:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• The reason doctors want kids drinking milk is for the calcium. As far as calories and fat, they can get that from PLENTY of other foods. Other dairy products also have calcium, so you can include those in your daily count of milk products. That being said, no one NEEDS cow's milk. My son is extremely allergic to it (and all dairy products), and gets his calcium from other sources. (One of the best sources of calcium is canned sardines - yes, ewwwwwww - because the bones are soft and edible and you got tons of calcium this way. Pediatrician recommended it. Also, there's plenty of veggies mentioned by a poster above that contain calcium.)
    ratviolin

Answer by ratviolin at 4:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2009