Help at nap time? Any toddler tips?

When my grandsons are over for a long time. I know they need a nap. They're now 22 mos. & 4 years old. I can't get them to nap like I used to! I used to think I was so smart at getting them to nap. But ever since they have a new Baby sister. She's one month old! The napping is gone!! I have a bad Migraine today. I finally got the boys down. but it was such a struggle.Thankfully I'm beyond patient & understanding. I like them to be Happy boys. So I do what I can to make my home Kid Friendly & all for Them!! So they have every thing they need but the sand man*!? Tips would be so appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 4:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Send them to my son's old daycare. She had the kids sleep from noon until about 6 pm. I don't know what she did, but ny nights were very difficult for a long long time!
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately the four year old may be transitioning to not needing a nap, or not needing one everyday. That means trying to put the 22 month old down for a nap when his older brother is still up!
    I don't envy you, grammy.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 4:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Adjusting to a new baby sister is definately cause for a thrown nap schedule. That can be quite an adjustment. However, don't worry there are tricks you can try to get those little ones down for a nap. Try a lot of interactive play. Whether it be puppets, reading books, playing in the yard, or coloring, etc. Something to keep their mind going and allowing them to burn off some energy they might have. Also remember, which I'm sure you do, to feed them harty meals. An empty or partially empty stomach can lead to one not taking a proper nap. (If one at all) Try to stay away from hours and hours of videos/TV, that will lead to them being sluggish and won't make them want to take a nap. Maybe you can try new routines with them too, like reading to them before nap time. Or having the older one read to you and their sibling. That might also help ease them into sleep.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2009