Do you get offended when someone says your baby is "fat" or "chubby?"

I don't but I have seen alot of posts from women who get highly offended if someone comments on their "chubby" baby. I don't mean blatently rude people who say it in a nasty way. I mean when people are oohhing and ahhing over your baby and happen to say "He/she is so chubby!" or "Look at the big guy!" I take it as a compliment! Yes my baby is chubby, that means he is getting enough to eat and is going to grow up to be a big strong man! Obviously we aren't feeding our kids junk food if they are still little babies so there must be a reason for the chubbiness. Maybe they are going to be tall and will grow out of their baby fat! Even now,
people comment on how my 4 year old looks bigger then 4. I feed him right and he gets exercise so yes, he is healthy! He's not fat, his Dr says his weight is fine considering he is tall for his age. anyway, just wondering if I am the only one who doesn't get offended by this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have the opposite problem! I have a skinny girl, she is about 15lbs and 7.5months.
    I think chubby babies are great. Wait no I think ALL babies are great :)

My hubby always points out chubby babies 'look how big that one is!!'
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 6:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Chubby babies look healthy. Both of mine were little and a bit on the scrawny side as infants, so to see a chubby baby now just melts my heart. It's adorable. I think those getting offended have some kind of personal issue with the word. It's not a negative thing.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• lmao not at all i call my baby chunky monkey, and my sister call him her goldo some term of endearment like fatty but it is spelled goldo not gordo(fatty) and he isn't fat or chunky at all he was when he was a baby but yea
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 4:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I have a 2 month old who is in 6 month clothes already and weighs 13 1/2 pounds. I exclusively breastfeed him whenever he is hungry and so that is why he is so chubby! He has a big appetite! However my MIL is constantly saying how HUGE he is and then told me a story about some lady who's 4 month old's insurance dropped him because he weighed too much. She said that is going to happen to my son. That DID piss me off. He is a healthy baby in the 90th percentile for weight and all his pedi says is how well he is thriving. So yes when my MIL makes comments about his weight it does make me mad but its because she is saying it in a bad way.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I don't. My oldest could have rivales the Michelin baby. But, my youngest was the exact opposite. I think chunky babies are cute, as long as they are healthy and not obese.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• What irritates me is when a certain someone says to me, "Oh, she's just healthy, mom" when I call her my little chunky monkey, my little nickname for her, or my DH says she's a little chunk. I know babies are supposed to have baby fat and all that. It's the same thing from the same person every time. The way she says it makes me think she is saying that my baby is actually fat and is supposed to be because the very next thing said is how our son was so slender when he was a baby and how he is still too skinny. Like maybe we're starving him and our daughter is how a baby is supposed to look. Honestly, I'm concerned about her weight and just want to make sure she really is healthy and not assume it because of the wives tales I get handed from this person.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• eh, I got a scrawy kid. I kinda want a chunky one. So cute if you ask me.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2009