Trying for baby #2 and terrified!!

Am I alone? I had always said after my son that I didn't want anymore after going through labor. Well, I think I have changed my mind and we are trying for number 2. I am just worried I will be so scared the whole time knowing what the end will be like! First time wasnt so bad since I didnt know what to expect. Anyone else feel this way or have some advice that helped you??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• What about your labor was so traumatic? I'd like to help you work through it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• It's just one time pain and once the baby comes out all the pain will go away. Go for it.
    Anonymous

• I was the one who posted....I really didnt have a bad labor. It was only 3-3 1/2 hours so I was very blessed. I was induced. Dr. broke my water and started pitocin. Started off 2-3 cm before they induced. I guess the pitocin and my water broken just caused so much pain so fast. And I guess working as a labor and delivery nurse doesnt help since I see people in labor ALL the time and haven't forgotten what it's like.
    Anonymous

• I'm scarred too. I'm not worried about labor because I had no pain (and no regrets!) but its just hard to be so gung ho about a second when like you said, you haven't forgotten how hard the first was. I worry about the sleeplessness, stress, and just having two around in general! But what makes me committed to the idea is that when I'm older and hosting thanksgiving dinner for my family, I want to fill that table (ok a small table!). I want my later years filled with family and to me that means having more than one. I think that's a great legacy and future. Maybe that will help you past the short term :)
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 5:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Try looking at birth with a different approach. I know you are an L&D nurse, but a homebirth IS a safe option, and also can reduce interference (pit, AROM) which cause more pain. A water birth is also known as "the midwife's epidural" because of it's effectiveness in relieving pressure and pain, and helping women work with the labor more effectively due to better relaxation. Please check out the movies Orgasmic Birth or The Business of Being Born. Also, faster births tend to be far more painful then slow, steady ones where you have time to adjust and refocus on relaxation/coping techniques. :)

squish

Answer by squish at 12:55 AM on Oct. 21, 2009