when can I get a blood test?

I could have gotten pregnant this month but it turns out I need a hip injection that involves an x ray. I know the risks of having an xray over your uterus, so the drs told me I need to arrange for a blood test since they want to do it soon. my fertility period was this past week (like maybe the 9-11). Would a blood test even be accurate at this point? If not, when would it? I don't want to have it too soon and then find out I am later. My cycle was way off the past three cycles (once every two weeks and then one three week most recently). Its been three weeks but normally...well I'm normal! help!

mrs_pulley

Asked by mrs_pulley at 4:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• oh I guess I should add that I've read its accurate 7-10 days after conception. but that confuses me because isn't that basically 5 days before your missed period and no quicker than a hpt? And since I've been so off, I don't know when I would have conceived. Even the calculators are three day estimates based on average cycle, which I can't know.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 4:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• blood tests detect the hormone within the first 3 weeks. if you are, believe me its too early for the exray to do any damage and the doctors know how to go about protecting the baby if you are! don't stress it(easier said than done, i know), but if anything did happen within your first 3 months of pregnancy it's due to the fetus, because our bodies naturally detect something wrong with a baby within this time and expells it! its not easy to go through a loss like that but we survive nontheless. i say this not to scare you or make you worry but instead to shed a different light on why miscarriges tend to occur.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• thanks, I'm not at all worried about a miscarriage. but my doctors do want a blood test and won't do the procedure otherwise
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 4:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2009