Not sure about vaccinations?

I have three children-14,12 and 3....I was really good about getting the older two kids shots but when I had the 3 year old I have been having second and third thoughts about getting his vaccinations completed. I had his 1st set done and he was really sick for an entire week after. A friend had her sons shots done and he was diagnosed with Autism. Does anyone have an constructive opinon to help me out.

shelby7615

Asked by shelby7615 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Health

• I understand your concern. So many just don't do their research. My kids are older now and I am so thankful they all turned out okay. Noone says you have to get your 3 yr. old vaccinated, you just have to reconcile within yourself this is what you choose to do.

Here is a website to help you: http://drtenpenny.com/default.aspx
    usanamama

Answer by usanamama at 4:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• It sounds like he was just sick due to the side effects. All shots ahve them but it varies by child if their are gonna run into them. This decision is ultimately up to you. Do you have a ped at his office with kids of their own that you can trust for advice? I would do that. Its a controvercial ? so its hard to give an opinion. My dd had all her shots and I know if I had more kids then they would get them as well. Just ask your dr if they can space them out a bit so hes not getting too many at once. GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My advice would be to research what is in all these vaccines & decide whether or not you want them injected into your child. Some of the ingredients require a MSDS to handle in other industries and are listed as 'hazardous materials'... I, for one, don't want that injected into my kids.
    My boys (11, 7, & 6) all got almost all their shots. I didn't know any better. All of them have speech delays & my oldest REALLY has trouble with reading comprehension & anything that really requires him to think on his own. They're smart kids... but they definately have their struggles. My oldest didn't even START talking until he was almost 3 yrs old.

My daughter, though, is vaccine-free. She started talking at 10 mos, full sentences by 18 mos. She will be 3 in Feb. and knows all her shapes, colors, numbers, animals, is picking up Spanish & Chinese from Dora & Kai-lan, and is learning her letters.

Coincidence? Maybe.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• my advice is to break the vaccinations up over several weeks. dont do them all at once. he might have had a cold or something coming on anyways and the vaccinations probably didnt help. my son now gets all his at different times, never all together at once.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I was only given limited vaccines and I got them all very late, in my teens and 20s. I've traveled internationally and lived in developing countries and I'm fine. I recently had a blood work-up for my pregnancy and even with my limited vaccination history, I have plenty of anti-bodies for the things I was only 10%- 50% vaccinated for. You don't have to get them all. You don't have to get them all at once. And schools can't make you. You can sign a waiver.

I won't be vaccinating my baby until at least age 12.

You can request vaccines that are thimerosal free. That is the mercury based preservative that worries many people. Ask to see the shot, the vial, check the exp date and the lot number.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• http://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases.aspx

Great info :) Study the vaccines and the diseases.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• This was all very good advice.. We have just moved to a new state so I still need to find a ped, but I am working on this....I think that I will also check the state laws about vac's for school. Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. :)
    shelby7615

Answer by shelby7615 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2009