How can I really child proof my house for my 7 month old?

My son has been crawling for about a month now and I am at a loss. I put in all the outlet covers tried to hide the cords, got rid of all my breakables, got rid of my coffee and end tables and he still finds ways to get into things or get hurt. I have him a play pen but he hates it, he hates the jumperoo, will not go in the crib. How do I get anything done? He is only happy when he is crawling around. But it is impossible to watch him every minute, I need to be able to go the bathroom with out him screaming. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take him into the bathroom with you. That's what i do. She is also 7.5 mos. and has been crawling for a while but now she's really fast. I have to watch her like a hawk every second. It is so exhausting. I don't have a playpen but I do have a gate i can put up to block off the living room from the kitchen. She would never stand a playpen.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• It IS possible to watch them every minute. That's called a MOM. Watch your younger brother put a bobby pin (the pretty oe with the rhinestones on it--I was 5, he was 3) in a socket, you'll figure out how to teach your son right from wrong. My MIL told me that while spending a night with her, my then less than two year old went to every socket in the house and pointed his finger (the pointer finger) and said "No, no, no touch! Danger, get hurt!" He was emulating me!!

Anonymous

• If I were you I would get him used to the playpen. Put his fav toys in there and give him a bottle or juice cut. He needs to learn boundaries and hearing him cry it out for a few minutes isnt gonna hurt anyone. Id stick it out and knwot aht he WILL get used to it
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• i never really "baby proofed" my house, never really had to. if my kids got into something they weren't supposed to, i'd just take them away, if they kept getting into it i'd pop their hand (always the hand they touched whatever it was with). the ONLY thing that's "baby proofed" in my house is the doors under the tv on the entertainment center, (so they can't get ahold of the movies) they have those lock things, and the cabinet under my sink in the kitchen, cuz it has cleaning supplies in there. other than that, my kids know what they are and aren't allowed to touch and/or do in the house.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I have a 9 month old daughter who is also crawling and walks while holding onto furniture. I have a large living room so I put up baby gates to keep her in there. I put a bunch of toys out and she plays off and on all day. Sometimes though, she wants me to hold her but when she was younger , she wanted me to hold her 24-7. I gradually had to get her used to me not holding her constantly
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Dont worry. Crying a little isn't going to hurt him. You'll regret it if you don't let him cry it out when you don't let him do something he's not supposed to do. It's going to take time and a lot of patience. What I do is, the things that take time that i need to do, I take my daughter with me, and drag her high chair near me or just put her on the floor, let him hold something, like a piece of clothing while doing laundry, a cup while doing dishes, they'll play with anything.but you still gotta watch them 24/7 its what they're all about. But anything like cooking or frying, put him in the play pen, let him cry. it beats getting burned.u'll get used to it later on.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• So far my LO is almost 16 mos. We have one gate and have her room blocked off so that she can play in there, we have a play yard (greatest investment ever) and had to put a latch on the toilet seat. I believe that there is a way to keep them contained and safe at the same time. That is only 3 things that we have done and she is watched like a hawk when she is running loose in the house. We haven't even put in outlet covers b/c she hasn't discovered them. I fell that if you keep teaching them right from wrong and that when they are contained that is where they play, it will all be okay.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• What I did when my first started crawling was got down to her level crawled around and latched any furniture she could get to, covered any outlets she could find etc. and every day (now too that my 2nd is starting to be more mobile) as part of my cleaning routine I get down to their level and find any little things that they could put in their mouths or hurt themselves on. I also keep them to one are of the house with a gate that I know is always baby proofed and clean, that way I can take the few minutes on the potty and they are happy because they can continue to play! Good luck!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Popping their hand is a wonderful way to childproof. You know in some countries you could go to jail for that. I've seen you or you and someone else write before about popping hands or giving a pop on the bottom. You have even made up a word to try and cover up you are hitting your child and proud of it. Shame on you.
    Anonymous

• And what country would that be? I have never heard of such a thing. I wouldn't suggest it for a 6 month old, but WOW!
    Anonymous