does the regular flu vaccine really contain Mercury?

or is it some sort of Urban Legend? i have been hearing this a lot..

i am growing concerned, because my oldest child may have a form of Autism.. i recently was told this by his school.

don't get me wrong here.. i don't blame any vaccines for his situation. i am just looking to educate myself, to help me make a decision.. i am wondering if i should keep vaccinating him from the flu, or would it hurt him more by putting this chemical into him?
i started vaccinating my kids, because we are in the highrisk group.. two of us are asthmatics.. so the flu is worse for us..

623Mexicana

Asked by 623Mexicana at 5:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Yes it does contain thimerosol (sp). It is trace amounts but it is still there. Weigh the risks before getting it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• It comes with and without

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/ABOUT/QA/thimerosal.htm
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I thought there was what is called a "preservative free" option? Isn't that without the thimerasol? I could be wrong I guess I should research first.
    Anonymous

• I THINK ALL VACCINES CONTAIN NOT ONLY MERCURY BUT DEADLY TOXINS THAT COMPROMISE THE IMMUNE SYSTEM. I BELIEVE MY SONS MILD AUTISM IS DUE TO THE DOUBLING UP ON VACCINES WHEN HE WAS YOUNGER I AM NOW LOOKING INTO THE INJURY COMPENSATION PROGRAM, ALTHOUGH UNFORTUNATELY FOR ME THE GOVERNMENT COVERS THEIR BEHINDS PRETTY DARN WELL. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR RESEARCH .GOD BLESS
    yumymommy

Answer by yumymommy at 7:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Thimerasol = mercury. Not the only dangerous ingredient in vaccines, mind you.
    Here is a list of ingredients for every vaccine:
    http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-2.pdf
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• 1) The school cannot diagnose any form of Autism. If there are concerns, you need to speak to a developmental pediatrician.

2) The urban legend is that regular vaccinations cause Autism, not the flu shot. There is absolutely NO link to either regular vaccinations OR the flu shot. Neither the flu shot nor any of the ingredients in it have ever been even mentioned with Autism.

3) If your child is Autistic, he is autistic. Vaccinating, not vaccinating will make no difference in his prognosis.

4) You should be speaking to your pediatrician, not posting about it here where you're going to get all the anit-vax nazi's coming out of the wood work telling you that you're poisoning your kid, etc...as you can already see some of them have posted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Actually, there is a link between vaccines and autism. Atleast BOBBY KENNEDY thinks so. ;) Look at the videos to the left. You'll see them.
    www.myspace.com/parentsagainstvax
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Thimerasol = mercury.

Thimerasol does not equal mercury. That's like saying salt = chlorine. Ethylmercury is one component of thimerasol. Ethylmercury has been shown to leave the body quicker and easier than methylmercury (the type of mercury found in fish). 

Not the only dangerous ingredient in vaccines

Keep in mind "the dose makes the poison".  A person can die from drinking too much water.  There are "toxins" in the air we breath, the food we eat, the water we drink.  The small amouns of these in vaccines have not been shown to be harmful.

Anonymous

• Actually, there is a link between vaccines and autism. Atleast BOBBY KENNEDY thinks so. ;)

Bobby Kennedy Jr? I don't think a lawyer is the best place to go to get medical opinions. But if you're going the legal route there's the article No evidence of autism -vaccine like court rules. http://articles.latimes.com/2009/feb/13/science/sci-vaccine13
    Anonymous