Potty training my 2yr old

I am a single mom to a 2 1/2 yr old and I'm trying my best to potty train but because I am a single mom I dont have the ability to dedicate all of my time to it since i work 40+ hrs a week at work. My son understands what the potty is for and will go on it if you put him on it but won't go by himself and wont let me know when he has to go. Any tips on getting past this?

chrissydee

Asked by chrissydee at 5:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• am guessing he goes to daycare. ask them for help. or you can try the 3 day potty training. it works for some kids. basically is 3 days with only underwear and you put them to the potty eevry 15 mts..i know its harder for working moms cuz m,y nieces and nephews were almsot 31/2 when they were potty train. i stay home so i had dd pottry tain by 24 mts. i also heard boys are harder. good luck
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• that just comes with time. its awesome he'll go when you put him there!! just set a timer and when it goes off tell him potty time!! eventually he'll learn to connect the urge with having to go. keep up the good work!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• i got 3 girls, 1 boy and a single mom. twins are 3 and yes she was easier to train, but i think they(boys) just want mom's support and praise! within a yr we went from accidents to him occasionally standing to pee. i still have to ask dj occasionally if he has to go, and sometimes he wants me to take him, but more often than not he goes on his own. he has to get comfortable going, but when he attempts to go on his own, don't acknowledge it until he does then praise him. its going to get easier i promise!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 3 1/2 year old boy that won't tell me when they need to go. They also won't go on the potty for nursery workers at church. Anyway, I just take them regularly and constantly remind them to tell me when they need to go. They are statrting to, once in a while. The other thing that has helped is putting them in underwear. If they wet themselves, they get sent to the bathroom to undress, sit on the potty to make sure it is all out, and they must dress themselves. Mommy will not help them when they wet themselves!! They hate that and have had less accidents since doing that.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2009