Why are vegans skinny?

Ive noticed that many vegans and vegetarians are thin. Why is this? I have started a new diet which eliminates meat and dairy and sweets.. (I get protien from beans and eggs) how long until I start seeing results with my diet and exercise plan?

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 5:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I've been a vegetarian for 6 years and I did drop weight the first month and have been in the best shape I have ever been in since. I will say that I know vegetarians that eat very unhealty and gain weight. It's all about what kind of vegetarian or vegan you want to be, do you want to eat junk like pizza, nachos etc.. or healthy foods. You still have to watch calories and fat! A lot of meat free products are very high in calories and fat. If you do it right you should see results within the first month I would imagine.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• When I was vegan in college, I got fat. Anyone can get fat on the wrong foods. I was being a lazy student and eating a ton of vegan ice cream and soy products. Oreo cookies are vegan.

In a healthy diet and fitness plan, losing 2 pounds per week is peak weight loss. If you are losing more, you are losing muscle mass or dehydrated.

vegetable based diets are consistently shown to lead to healthier cardiovascular systems and decreased risk of cancer. Good luck!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• If you eat to much breads and pasta dishes you can gain weight. And sweets too.

I cut out sweets and cute back on pasta and bread and lost 20 lbs.

Answer by louise2 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I've met plenty of over weight vegans.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Well they're not eating crap like fried chicken and bacon which helps but you can still get plenty fat on pasta, bread, cake, deep fried tofu, and other vegan stuff that's still unhealthy. I'm vegan and I could lose half my body weight and be very skinny but still just in my healthy weight range.
    Anonymous

• There are plenty of overweight vegans and plenty of slim animal-eaters.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2009