My 20 month old wont talk...

His doc says that he has enough words and that we shouldn't worry yet, but I am afraid that he is behind. He has around 10 words, but doesn't use them often. He can point at things when we ask where they are, but he wont talk. He understands when we ask him to do something and is very intelligent...he just wont talk! What can we do to make him want to talk?? We are running out of ideas... we read to him, NO baby talk, we encourage him to talk in every way we can think... it just isn't working. HELP

HuskerMommy08

Asked by HuskerMommy08 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was about where your son is. She is now 22 months and everyday her vocabulary gets bigger. Dont worry. If the Dr says he's fine, he's fine. My Daughter was advanced at everything except talking. She focused on other aspects of learning before she gave it a good try. Maybe that is what your son has been doing? My daughter has a good sized list of words she can say now, and like I said, it's constantly growing. Dont worry! Give him time and keep incouraging him. Repeat the names of things over and over and over, he will get it.....when HE is ready. Dont worry! :)
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• stop responding to the pointing and grunting, tell him to use his words, say it for a couple of months, if that doesn't work request early intervention for speech therapy; did my 3 yr old twins wonders!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My cousin has 3 kids, by the time they start talking, and learn how to ask for things, she doesn't give it to them until they at least attempt to say it. Then they'll eventually catch on. Each kid started talking normally by like 14 months, I swear. early but very cute. But as long as he started talking I wouldn't be worried, some kids start a little late, but when they start, they won't stop!
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Id have him evalutaed. Just for peace of mind anyway. At that age they should be saying around 100-200words. Thats just a paper the kids at dd's school was sent home with. im not one for statistics though. If you are worried then as I said, have him evaluated. That way if there is a problem he will get the help he needs to progress GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My son didn't start talking till he was 2 1/2. Now we can't get him to stop talking!
    Rachael06

Answer by Rachael06 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My son was a late talker. 10 to 20 words is the milestone for 18 months. If you doctor isn't concerned, give it a bit longer. If you don't see progress, get in touch with your state's early Intervention program for an evaluation. My son started at 18 months (he had no words at all) and had done wonderfully. If you're really concerned, call Early Intevention now just to give yourself peace of minds.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Have you called Early Intervention and had him evaluated for possible speech therapy?
    Anonymous

• wow... I thought I was only one. My son can only dadda and that even that is limited(he mostly whines to it gets annoying).
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all the input. I have not contacted anyone about early intervention or anything, I was just wondering if others had maybe gone through this, or if I was alone.
    He just seems like he doesn't care about talking. He is doing everything else, even said a few two word sentances, but only once. It's like he can do it, he just wont. He is advanced in everything else, like someone else said. He can put puzzles together and recognize over 100 things when you ask him to, he just wont SAY it. He can point anything out and follow directions to a T I'm sure he will just start talking one day...and never stop lol Thanks for your input ladies!!
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• well at 19 months my son had a verbal explosion..up until then he really only said half words.. and pointing or whining for everything.. I am not sure what happened, one day he just went to saying 1-2 words together and more single words and now he will be 2 in 2 weeks and he's saying 7-8 word sentances.. I was always very worried too -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2009