Does anyone have any suggestions on diarrhea?

My 3 year old has had diarrhea for 2 1/2 days now. I have tried Pedialyte, crackers, cheese, water, pepto bismol tablets, the BRAT diet... nothing is working. We have an appt tonight with the Dr, but I'm at a loss with this issue. I feel awful because he wants to eat cereal, and other things and I can't feed him. He has no fever, no body aches, just diarrhea. This morning was the first time he got up at 2 a.m. to wake me and tell me had to go to the bathroom. I looked online to see what I could try at home to try to slow this and I've tried all I can think of. Please, If anyone has any thoughts let me know.

SaRahsfReckles

Asked by SaRahsfReckles at 6:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Health

• why cant he have cereal? i didnt get that part..? but cheese should help. maybe its just a cold symtpom that he happens to have. i hope its nothing too serious..
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 6:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• True diarrhea? Like more than 3-4 times in an hour type? Or just really loose? If just really loose try soaking plain rice in water until the liquid turns cloudy. Then mix that liquid minus the rice into his juice or sippy cup and have him drink it. Clears my kiddos up within 24 hours. Our doctor told us this trick.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• sounds to me like something you are still feeding him is causing the issue.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• True diarrhea, like every hour and a half. We went to the Dr. last night and he said he was not dehydrated, which is good. He said his tummy was very active. My son didn't want cheese, and the Dr. said not giving him milk was good cause milk can irritate him more. He said I could continue the pedialyte in small amounts very often. I tried the cereal without milk and he ate a little bit. And I tried bananas but he wasn't that interested in them, but the Dr. suggested mashed potatoes, and that seems to have helped a little. The Dr. said diarrhea usually goes away after a few days, and that if it continues, or I notice blood, to take him back and they would do a stool sample on him. He said he's been seeing a few cases com in but all tested negative for any kind of virus. Thank you for the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind, and hopefully its over. My son tells me his tummy isn't hurting too much anymore.
    SaRahsfReckles

Answer by SaRahsfReckles at 11:22 AM on Oct. 20, 2009