My son is turning 3 in a couple of weeks and he still isn't potty trained. I have tried just about everything but he refuses to use the potty. If I put underwear on him, I have to walk him to the potty and stand there with him while he uses it or he will use it in the underwear. Any advice on a stubborn toddler?

hrush98

Asked by hrush98 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know how you feel, my son is turning 4 and he still isnt fully potty trained. He does the same thing too. I have to walk him to the bathroom and tell him to pee. He still wont poop in the potty though either. Its going to take time, especially with boys from what I've been told too. Just be patient, the more its forced on a child, the more they will refuse to do it.
    ILovemyson1020

Answer by ILovemyson1020 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• He is just turning 3?? I think you started too early. Obviously he isn't ready. Wait a couple more months. The average for boys is right around 3

Anonymous

• My boys have to clean up after themselves. That means undressing, dumping the stink (if that is what they did) in the toilet, dressing themselves in clean clothes, and getting something to clean the floor with. Other than cleaning the floor, they get no help from me. It can take a LONG time for them to get it all done, but doing that has really decreased accidents. They would much rather have mommies help going potty! (They are 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 years old).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• potty teachers actually say to start on their 2nd birthday. i didn't start on his second birthday, i started a little later, when he was 2 1/2 cuz there was just so much going on. (i would put him on the potty, but not make a big deal cuz i was just too busy)i started 2 weeks ago on a tuesday. get a timer, put it on for every 45min to an hour. every time it goes off, make a big deal that it's POTTY TIME! put him on the potty and make sure you tell him WHEN (not IF) you got peepee in the potty you get a ___ (sticker, mini marshmellow,w/ever) if he doesn't go on the potty then, make the time shorter, about 20-30 minutes. NO PULLUPS, ONLY UNDERWEAR.do this every day. i started this on tuesday, and had no accidents starting that friday. gradually you can lengthen the time between potty time, just make sure you pay attention to when he normally has to go potty. (like if he poops every day around the same time, it's potty time then)
    Anonymous

• cont- it WILL be frustrating, you just have to tell yourself to expect accidents, cuz they will happen. it's been 2 weeks and yes, we have our occasional accidents, but they're mainly when he's playing with his friends and doesn't realize he has to go potty until it's too late. kids tend to hold it until their bladder is totally full before they realize they have to go. so being mom, you have to pay attention to when he normally goes, if he is doing the "peepee dance", ect, and you bring him to the potty. even now most of the time my son won't tell me when he has to go, i have to put him on the potty myself. i don't have to stay in the room with him, i just make sure i talk to him while in the other room (i have a 1yr old) to make sure he knows i didn't forget he's in there and he has to stay on there until he goes.

a book you can download is at: thepottytrainer.com. it has most of what i said on here, but more info. GL
    Anonymous

• Does he understand what he is doing wrong? If he does what I would do is put a pair of underwear on him and tell him if he poops in his underwear than (insert consequece here) is going to happen. If you feel he understands what he should be doing than by not doing it he is just being stubborn and disobeying.
    Anonymous

• All 3 year olds should be potty trained. OP did not start too early.
    Anonymous

• My mother had me potty trained and off of the bottle by the time I was one. I know I didn't start too early. I have been trying for a while now. If he is smart enough to lie and tell me he just farted when he really pooped, then he knows what's going on. He just doesn't seem like he wants to do it...which is why I say he is being stubborn! The schools where I live start preschool at age 3 and they want your child to be potty trained.
    hrush98

Answer by hrush98 at 8:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I believe the average age to be fully trained is around 3 1/2 years old. All kids are different though, so while I KNOW your frustration try not to be too hard on him or you. Just stick with it mama, he'll get it eventually. Good luck!
    rebabeach2

Answer by rebabeach2 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My DD turned 3 in August and is still completely in diapers. I've tried four times to potty train. She was using it great back when she was 18 months old, but then 2 months later I had her little brother and she was done with potty. Not only does she use underwear like a diaper, but if I sit her on the potty she just screams and cries and asks for a diaper and want use the potty at all. Her pediatrician isn't concerned and said to wait until she's ready. I'm due with my 3rd baby this December and really didn't want 3 children in diapers, but it doesn't look like she'll be using the potty any time soon.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2009