Christians ...what the bible says about non-believers? Part 2

This might be one of my favorite verses from the bible. I am Pagan, but this is one that I think many modern Christians forget.

Jesus said, "Not everyone who says to Me, `Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven." (Matthew 7:21)

I believe that it is fairly easy to understand what this scripture says, but i have not had any (well ...very few) lessons in learning about the bible from other Christians. So please, tell me, what does this mean to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It means that many people will be surprised when they do not get into heaven. They point to certain acts that they think earned them a seat in heaven, although Scripture is clear that salvation is not based on works, but in faith in Jesus. If you have real faith, you will have a life that shows it. I like how the NLT says it, "Not all people who sound religious are really godly. They may refer to me as `Lord,' but they still won't enter the Kingdom of Heaven. The decisive issue is whether they obey my Father in heaven."

cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I have read this before, but I have never associated with non believers. I am curious to see what others think and how they connect it to those who don't believe in Jesus. I always thought of it as those who claim to know Jesus but don't follow his words.
    Anonymous

• it means exactly what it says, that not everyone that calls on his name is going to go to heaven, only the ones that do the will of God. (do His works, minister, witness, ect)

i would love to know how a non believer takes this verse and thinks they're goingto heaven. if you're a non believer then you obviously aren't doing the works of God so obviously you're not going to heaven.
    Anonymous

• I just read this last night. Jesus is referring to believers who claim to good in the name of the Lord, but do not live their lives by God's will. To better understand this, I would start reading with verse 13-27. Here Jesus talks about the narrow gate, false prophets, and living your life by God's will.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 6:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• 21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 6:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Anon
    I believe that many people can "do God's work" without being a believer in the God of Abraham. Forgiveness, kindness, respect, love. ...those are all things that Jesus taught about, they are all part of God's work.
    Anonymous

• I just read "part one" honestly I think you are taking a lot of stuff out of context or really just seeing what you want to see. Can you tell me how Jesus saying there are some believers that will not get into heaven equals non believer getting into heaven?
    Anonymous

•  21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.  22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?  23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
    This is to the people who claim that they are true christians but follow false teachings you have to read the whole chapter to really understand what Jesus is saying.
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I believe that many people can "do God's work" without being a believer in the God of Abraham. Forgiveness, kindness, respect, love. ...those are all things that Jesus taught about, they are all part of God's work.
    _
    good works do not get you into heaven, even if you are Christian
    Anonymous

• Jesus said, "If you love Me, you will obey my commands. And My commands are not burdensome." God does not ask for too much.

But if we continue to practice sin we cannot go to heaven. "Don't you know that those who do wrong will have no share in the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, who are idol worshipers, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals, thieves, greedy people, drunkards, abusers, and swindlers--none of these will have a share in the Kingdom of God." 1 Cor. 6:9-11.

There is forgiveness for our sins, but if we continue to sin freely we are not His children. We have not really repented.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2009