what are the pro's and con's of breast feeding???? i'm still not sure

Dani3lla

Asked by Dani3lla at 6:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• BF: self made, no bottles to prepare, take it with you, already heated, natural, get engorged, can leak, must pump when away, must stock some for when away for baby
    FF: no public nursing, no pumping, can walk and feed at same time without holding child

Both require getting up at night

I BF
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• 101 pros: www.promom.org/101/

In my opinion ZERO cons
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• In my opinion there are no cons of breastfeeding.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Here's an example on one of the nice "pros" I lost 60+lbs in the 1st 6 months of breastfeeding with out any diet or exercise. I know that doesn't happen for everyone, but it worked for me! Here's my story: http://theshapeofamother.com/blog/what-6-months-of-breastfeeding-can-do-anonymous/
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Pros:
    -its free
    -its the healthiest thing you could ever feed your baby
    -breastmilk is full of antibodies that will help keep your child healthy. Formula cant even come close to duplicating breastmilk.
    -its convenient. Just whip out your breast, and feed the baby
    -it helps you to bond with your child
    -it helps you lose weight
    -it reduces your chances of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, and osteoperosis
    -it reduces your chances of post partum depression
    -it makes your breasts bigger [which is great if you're an A like me]

CONS
    -If you dont feel comfortable nursing in public, you need to find a place to nurse.
    But I will tell you, I nurse in public all the time, un covered, and nobody even notices. And my daughter is nearly 8 months old!
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 6:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Children who are breast fed have lower allergies, less ear infections, stronger immune systems, less chance of developing obesity, reduces risks of some types of cancer, reduces risk of diabetes, oh the list goes on.

breast feeding will help you lose weight too.

Plus, it's cheap! No dishes to do!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I have breastfeed two girls for over 18 month each. What I didn't like was the first 3 month, there were a lot of feeding and I was the only food source I couldn't pump much, wish I had invested in a good pump, or rented on from the hospital. Getting started is hard, give it 6 weeks My mother and mother-in-law not having a clue about breastfeeding What I liked, the connection with my child. Having that one on one time no matter what. Knowing that my girls had the best possible start That they got all those antibodies The food was perfectly balanced for each child, and their needs, illness to growth spurt That my girls got all the benefits from breastfeeding that science can't understand or find Being needed completely and wanted completely It is always on tap and the right temp No mess no fuss I didn't worry if she was getting to little or to much, feed on demand she told me when she was hungry I hope this helped

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• All the pros as above plus you have a lower chance of getting breast cancer and some other cancer.
    Anonymous

• BF is the best! Basically you have to ask yourself one very simple question ... Does baby deserve the best or do you think that the decisions on what is best for baby should be centered around you as the caregiver? It is a very simple answer that most moms have no problem choosing. Breastmilk is the best on endless levels while formula can actually go so far as to cause death. Good Luck on your decision but as far as baby is concerned there is no decision to be made, breastmilk is the only option!!  Congratulations on your impending birth!

Anonymous

• Cons: Very few people like to see you "whip out a breast" (BambiF)

Other misconceptions:

It helps with the initial weight loss, but at the 6 month time, studies have shown that both formula feeding and breastfeeding mothers lost the same average amount of weight.

It is NOT the birth control some seem to think it is.

It is not a better bonding tool, but it may be a different bonding. But then, the bonding with each of your own children is different so that "argument" doesn't hold water.

Breasts are bigger temporarily, and more often than not are even smaller than before once weaning is complete.

Formula fed babies can take formula at room temperature just as well as heated. They can also take it right from the fridge. The idea that it HAS to be heated is not always true.

Formula fed babies are also fed on demand and can't be over fed, and also have 1-on-1 time.

I BF
    <
    Anonymous