Are there any moms out there in their 40's struggling to make ends meat?

I am very frustrated. I make $12.90 an hour and have two teens, 14 and 18. My check is short at the end of every month and I have contacted everyone on god's green earth to get some help, but the response is...you make too much money and you don't have enough kids. Please help, I don't want to loose my house!!!

RaeRae62

Asked by RaeRae62 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• There's only a couple things you can do in that situation- either 1.) Increase your income or 2.) decrease your expenses--

Of course you could do both too if you wanted. Start looking around and thinking about what you could cut out. Maybe buying a cheaper car, cutting cable, or lowering the entertainment budget.

I hope things work out for you soon. GOOD LUCK :)
    Anonymous

• Just throwing this out there... I am a single mom (recently divorced) and I was working from home with one particular company. I built up some residual income so now that I went through a major move out of state and divorce I love the fact that residual income has helped my while I get back on my feet. Due to some company changes, I am no longer "actively" working that home business but I have now started with another one which I really like. I only pay $10 each month and that is it. I don't sell anything, I simply refer people to my site for info if they are looking for additional income (who isn't).

The greatest thing about being successful with a home business is 1) you build residual income. So, God forbid something happened to you and you were unable to work, you would still get paid over and over OR you will it to your kids and 2) it's a HUGE tax break!
    www.homebusinessideas.webs.com. I wish you luck! :0)
    imomnews

Answer by imomnews at 7:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Get an advanced degree online so you have skills to bring to an employer. It's not an expense problem, most likely.....it's an income problem. By your 40's you should be hitting your stride in your career and bringing home a decent salary. You're also old enough to not be looking for a handout. Get out there and make it happen. Work 2-3 jobs if you have to. It's all on you....except that the 18 yr old could be contributing to the household expenses to....at least their own expenses.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I agree with the residual income. I have a business with Arbonne International. Our business not only has residual income, but your business is willable to your family. How cool is that. Any other job - something happens to you - you stop getting paid. With Arbonne - something happens to you - your family can continue to receive the income stream that you built. I have two kids 12 and 13, so I am getting to understand the cost of teens, yikes!!! I am so grateful that I am to provide many things that they would not be able to have otherwise. If you are interested, please check out my web site www.marywozniak.myarbonne.com or the corporate site www.arbonne.com

Good luck
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 10:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I'm 35. I lost my job last year, and living off of unemployment. I have cut expenses down to the bone. The wires in my bras are poking me.

Its very hard. I shopped at a thrift store to get my teen daughters halloween costume. The last time that I was this broke, I was 20 years old.

I already started using free clothing closets. It's frustraing.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 10:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I've had a lot of success with Avon. Its easy and inexpensive to start just go to www.start.youravon.com and use reference code dhullum
    Its nice because there are literally thousands of products for everyone you know even if they don't wear a stitch of makeup! You can sell nationwide and offer free shipping to your customers! You can sell traditionally and through a personal website! You can also host online parties and events. You can also triple your income if not more by hosting fundraisers! You don't even have to carry inventory ! Its a great company with endless possibilites for income and tons of perks! Email me for questions I'd love to help you get started!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 6:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Some random thoughts. You have an additional asset besides your salary. Your house. Could you rent a room out to a college student or older person? Cutting expenses helps some, but with your salary you probably already do that. Some helpful resources are Hillbilly Housewife (on line) and my favorite, "The Tightwad Gazette" (see if you can borrow it on interlibrary loan). Good for ideas and encouragement. In our state kids can work at 14. Perhaps your children can take on part time work (if they can find it) and help offset some of their own expenses. Or start their own businesses, like babysitting or yard work. Are there training programs available in your area through the state/county that allow you to increase your skills and get higher paying work? We have one for women reentering the workforce. As long as you maintain "B's" the county covers tuition. Hope these help you some.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 2:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2009