what age can you get your tubes tighten???

i was wondering becuase am 18 and decided not to have any more kids....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Health

• 21, in Texas
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I don't know about all states or whatever, but I can tell you that here in Tennessee it is 21 years old or 3 children before you can have it done. I think it may vary from state to state though.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I doubt you will be able to find ANY Ob/Gyn who will tie your tubes (tubal ligation) at your age! MOST doctors won't agree to perform this surgery on women until they are over the age of 30--as many women change their minds later.

While it is a reversible procedure it is considered a "convenience" surgery and not a necessary one.

I had my tubes tied after the birth of my second child--at age 35--and even then, my doctor asked me a dozen times if I was sure I wanted this procedure done (because it is a major surgery as you have to under general anesthesia), and thought I should try and convince my husband to have a vasectomy--as it was an easier procedure. I said my husband was never going to let THAT happen! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• When I was in Oklahoma they asked me if I was going to have it done after my first. I was 17 , So I assume around 17 in Oklahoma
    It is different everywhere. Just ask a dr.
    Anonymous

• LoriKeet I hope you where not referring to me. I was just answering the question. I know in Tx you have to be at least 21 yrs old.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• It all depends on your situation and your doctor. My husband had a vasectomy right after he turned 26, and it was no big deal. My sister wanted her tubes tied at 26 after her twins, and her doctor wouldn't do it. He ended up doing it 5 years and one oops baby later.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2009