Starting solids...all around HELP!

OK, so what should I offer first? How much? How often? I've heard so many different things!! I'm sure the same thing is going to happen here...we plan on starting Courtney on friday so I want to have a total game plan set TODAY! LOL

CrystalJanie

Asked by CrystalJanie at 6:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First of all, don't get too excited. Lol!! It will usually be very slow going at first. The sucking action of the tongue will actually push the food out of the mouth. Babies have to learn and entirely new movement in order to swallow food. Most likely you will only feed a few bites at a time until they figure it out! Other than that, if you have no allergies in your family I wouldn't worry about what you offer. I offered whatever I had - usually bananas first. While I did buy some baby food, we usually made our own - pureed veggies, fruits, and then smashed whatever table food we ate. Also, babies will make grotesque faces as if they HATE the food. Keep offering it over the nest several days and most of the time your baby will learn to like it. Good luck!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Our Dr. told us to start off w/ bananas and applesauce first. example, start w/ bananas for 3 days, (once a day) then do applesauce for 3 days. After that we started veggies, so she wouldn't get too used to just sweet tasting food. Good luck.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• My best advice would be to offer everything you can from a very young age and get them accustomed to everything. I bough all my veggies and fruits and pureed them. It is definately cheaper then buying it. At first it will be slow so just a few bites after formula or breast milk. She will eat as much as she needs and then be done. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Buy two of each single ingredient stage 2 jars of food. Put them in the cupboard in alphabetical order. You will have enough for 4 days of each ingredient (1/2 jar in a bowl per meal). This is much more cost effective than stage 1 jars, and the only difference is the size of the jar. You put 1/2 in a bowl and feed that so you're not introducing bacteria to the rest, store it in the fridge and simply warm it slightly the next day for the second meal.

Start at the beginning of the alphabet and go to the end. There you go...you've done all the single ingredient foods, you know what the baby can and cannot eat, and now start on the combinations the same way, watching for new ingredients!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2009