Does anyone have personal experience with depression and exercise?

Money is tight, which is just one of the reasons I've been feeling depressed for the past couple of months. I've been wanting to join a gym and begin exercising, but the cost keeps holding me back. I have a lot of weight to lose and just don't feel comfortable walking in my neighborhood because there are always idiots who yell mean things. With Christmas coming, I need every dollar I have, but I feel that the best thing I could do for myself and my children would be to do something that makes me happy. Even if it means spending roughly $100 to get going.

Does my plan have any hope of working? My fear is I'll join a gym, begin to lose weight, continue exercising, and still feel like crying for no reason. I have had suicidal thoughts and feel I need to do something to pull myself out of this hole before I do something stupid.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• From personal experience working out does improve the mood. What I am worried about is the fact that you said you had suicidal thoughts, that is pretty serious. Is there anyone you trust that you can talk to? Honestly let someone know what your feeling. Please please please if you feel like hurting yourself call 1-800-273-TALK it is the national suicide hotline. Heck if you want msg me and I have no problem talking to you!!!!! Even just listening!! I have been there and it is so hard. Working out will help some but please get some help if you need it. Good luck
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 7:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Before I lost my weight I was depressed all the time...I would stay in my pj's all day and do nothing but cry.I didnt have suicidal thoughts,however I decided to start working out and overtime(roughly 6 months)Things were better for me.I do suggest seeing a doctor since you have suicidal thoughts.
    Nattiesmom9603

Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 6:10 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Do something, that is better than doing nothing. If you have an mp3 player you will not hear the idiots yelling mean things at you. However, join the gym if you can & will use it. Sometimes the YMCA will hire you & then your membership is free. See if you can work something out with the gym in your area...maybe clean it a couple days a week intrade for a couple free days a week. Do you have the wii w/wii fit? There are things you can do besides spend money IF it is that tight right now. Your mood will get better with exercise, however, you may need some meds to help a little.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It helped me. I have always had minor depression issues and then after my son died I developed PTSD, years later it was all still there, just to a lesser, more managable degree. I found a small local gym that was no enrolement fee and $10 a month. When I say small I mean small, but it was close by and was safe. I started out with just 30 minutes on the tread mill on a low setting. After a couple of months I was up to 20 minutes on a high setting on the tread mill, 30 minutes on weights and another 20 on a bike or stair master or some other cardio. In 6 months I felt so much better, mentally and phisically. Dropping 50 lbs didn't hurt either!

I felt better at the gym than out by myself, now I walk with friends. I dropped the gym when I got preg again and now I'm having to slowly work back into it. Ihad alot of physical problems with my last preg so it will take some time. Just make sure you are doing it for yourself!
    littleredpony

Answer by littleredpony at 9:40 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I was depressed to no end! I gained 82lbs. and I was on bedrest for almost 3 1/2 months. Dr. gave me meds when I returned from FL. I had a hurricane baby out of state. When making it back I finally started workingout to Gilad on TV and boy it took me 5 months to lose my weight. Trust me, he works. Get some sun shine.. Can't, try tanning bed. I live down south so I have alot of sun here still to enjoy. It will come off. I was way out of shape being weak after bedrest. I worked out before the baby for 2hrs. aday because I had time... LOL... Find a walking track or trail and make it family time and the weight will melt off like crazy. 10,000 steps aday works and that is 5 miles. Start off slow and add more steps. Just keep on moving and watch your empty calories.
    Listen to Paula Cole "Me" I have it on my playlist.... Love to talk .. ,but your Anonymous
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I've been severely depressed. excercise definitley helps.

check out

www.sparkpeople.com. its a great website and FREE!
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I can say from my own experience with depression that 'YES EXERCISE HELPS' I'm going through a real ugly break-up & I have felt in the dumps too. I made a promise to myself & only to myself to walk or jog 3-4 times a week & so far I have stuck to it (going on 3wks now). Go to the library & get a good book about motivating yourself that also helps...I can recommend a few, 'Awaken the giant Within,' by Anthony Robbins (GREAT READ), 'Think & Grow Rich,' by Napolean Hill. Good Luck & To hell with anybody laughing or making comments about you!!
    Me2dznb

Answer by Me2dznb at 7:32 AM on Oct. 27, 2009