Foster care in Texas home.

Greetings,
With one child,a Senior in high school...I have begun to feel the empty nest syndrome. Entertaining thought of foster care in my home. Any ideas,suggestions.advice would be deeply appreciated. I would even like to know how to apply,get started,what is expected and cost to get started.
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• Wow kudos to you...they need good homes. I dont know anything about it just want to wish you luck!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• This is long!! lol I typed it in Word and am going to post it here rather than PM you in case anyone else wants info. Please feel free to email me with any other questions:
    My mother-in-law went through the Bear Foundation (also in TX), which is a Christian organization that helps house foster children. It was sorta the same situation: empty nest, and her husband of 30 years passed away. She began with good intentions. She headed the nursery and daycare at her church for many years, and, when her husband was alive, often took care of children who’s parents needed free babysitting.
    I don't know if she really was ready for the emotional and physical responsibility that comes with damaged children. You can imagine what kind of situations these kids are coming from. She had kiddos that had mothers who disappeared, parents on drugs, sexually abused boys and girls … and that wasn’t even the worst of it!
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 12:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• She was only certified for basic, temporary care. If she wanted kids from more extreme situation or special needs, she needed to have more certification and complete more course hours.
    My husband and I helped out a lot, at times taking the kids for the weekend or for the week when it became too much for her (we too were certified to host the kids once a month if she needed a break). In my opinion, these kids needed the “full meal deal” - parents who would smother them with love and attention, but also give a balance of rules and structure. I think her plan was to love the kiddos enough to fix their problems. But loving them is not enough.
    redmoonintexas

• Most, if not all, of them have a form of behavior and/or psychological issue. You need to have 150% patience with them, at ALL times. You need to understand that they are going to lie to you, they are going to create this delusional world where their real parents are wonderful people that will come “rescue” them someday to shower them with gifts, they will be uncomfortable with many things in your household.
    My husband and I enjoyed working with the kids in all the areas above, but I think without a partner, my MIL was not up for the job. We plan to become foster parents once our daughter is a little bit older to understand the situation.
    redmoonintexas

• My mother-in-law spent a lot more than what was given to her for allowances. She bought many clothes second hand and had lots of generous donations. But she also had to buy extra furniture, extra bedding, extra tolietries, TV, radio, cell phone (for the older kids), car seats, booster seats, crib mattresses, etc.. She also had to prepare her house before she was fully certified, which included safe proofing everying, buying a locked cabinet for medication, buying a locked gun safe (we are talking TX here!!). She was reimbursed for food and for medicine, and given a small allowance for clothes (I think it was like $20). These kids most of the time come with the clothes on their back … nothing more. Not a single toy. Not a change of underwear.

I wish you the best of luck and encourage you to pray about your decision. I will also say a prayer for you.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 12:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Here's the link to the organization:

http://www.bair.org/

redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 12:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I dont know about TX, but i am a foster mother here in PA, You might want to ck out your local children & Youth Organization. I took me 4 mo to get certified...The only out of pocket expenses were our clearances,first aid, & cpr training but we got reimbursed for that after we were approved, we also had to go through trainings, a home check, and more....Its a lot of work to do and does get frustrating, BUT these kids are worth it!!! Here in PA, we are one of the srtictest states, so If my family can do it, you can too, but make sure hubby is willing!!! feel free to ask any questions if need be...God bless & good luck
    angeleyes31376

Answer by angeleyes31376 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2009