Another corrupt congressman?

AP) A Southern California congressman is being investigated by the FBI over an alleged inside deal to buy publicly-owned land.

The Riverside Press-Enterprise reports agents are probing whether Rep. Ken Calvert improperly bought land from a government agency that was earmarked for a park. State law requires surplus public land to be first offered to other public agencies before it is sold for private use.

Calvert, who represents parts of Orange and Riverside counties, is part of an investment group that wants to build mini-storage units on the site in Jurupa.

The investigation follows a 2007 grand jury probe that concluded the sale violated state laws.
Calvert says the FBI probe is part of "a desperation effort" to force him to sell the land to the Jurupa Area Recreation and Park District.

Calvert's lawyer says the Republican from Corona is cooperating with agents.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Why do they care? As long and Charlie Rangel gets to do what he does, they should leave everyone alone. How about all of those representatives who got the sweetheart deals with the mortgage loans from Countrywide. They didn't get in trouble. Oh, forgot, they are all democrats.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Him and Rengel aren't special....There are more criminals there than any other place I can think of.....WHY didn't the grand Jury findings in 2007 result in anything??

CLEAN HOUSE

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I will never understand how so many in government get away with that they do. I am a government employee and I have a code of ethics I have to follow. I also have a code of ethics I have to follow for my profession which is completely separate from the code I have to follow for the government. Every time something changes, I get to attend a training for it. If I ever broke an ethic from either source I will lose my job and my license to practice. Why in the hell do they not have the same strict standards as I have to follow?  Where are the consequences?

FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 8:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Any and ALL CORRUPT Politicians need to be dealt with by immediate removal. Hell, I even think Bwaney Fwank needs to be investigated for the Fannie/Freddie debacle.  Just how much DID he know and not disclose or lie about.  Financially sound my arse!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Suprise, suprise, he's a Republican. LOL
    Anonymous

• Oh Anon...get real both sides of the aisle have corrupt members. Neither is immune.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 9:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2009