alright its summer,and im am afraid that my kids will get lice,ive heard putting hairspray will help keep them away,or putting mayo to get rid of them,ive even heard washing with dog shampoo,so are there any real ways to prevent lice something those little buggers dont like?

prevent lice,treatment

sleepymommy4

Asked by sleepymommy4 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Don't let your kids share brushes, combs, hats, or hair accessories with other children and they will be just fine. That's really the only way to prevent them. The cleanest people in society are just as likely to get lice as the dirtiest people in society. Talk to your kids about sharing personal hygiene type things and be sure they know the importance of it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• The best way to prevent lice (aside from the usual no sharing of brushes or hats) is to put tea tree oil in your children's shampoo. It's totally safe to use and it repells lice.

If your kids get lice and you want a natural way to get rid of them try soaking thier hair in vineger. It smells nasty but it also will disolve the eggs. Then brush their hair with an unused flea comb.

These are healthy, natural ways of getting rid of and preventing lice.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 12:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Hairspray and gel work, yes. Contrary to opinion, lice stick to clean hair better than dirty hair.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I spritz my daughters hair with vinegar every other morning, also hairspray keeps them away. Also if she does get lice I saturate her hair with olive oil over night then wash as usual the next morning. hope this helps
    Anonymous

• I agree with the above poster about the tea tree oil in the shampoo, along with the hygiene talks. Another thing that repels lice is blow drying your hair, they can't stand the heat.
    Jessimica

Answer by Jessimica at 11:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• We always see more lice after breaks from school because of sleep overs. I guess sending your child with her own pillow and sleeping bag is a good idea. If the kid's sleep in the same bed, oh well.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• my sister told me to use Clairol Herbal Essance spray in conditioner to repel head lice - must have worked because my daughter didn't come home from school or daycare (both places were notorious for head lice!)
    luvbeinhermom

Answer by luvbeinhermom at 12:12 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I third the Tea Tree Oil. Lice is a problem year round here, and I will swear by that stuff. It is a sanity saver.
    anziomom

Answer by anziomom at 11:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Ok this is gonna sound weird but my DD had head lice two months ago and I was told to use LISTERINE well I thought ok that is weird but it worked, not only did it kill the lice and the nits it softened her hair too. You have to poor listerine all over head, put shower cap on for 2-4 hours and rinse out and comb with the lice combs. Works well and I have checked her head every other day since and she has been lice free:) I also heard after this treatment you can also use Vinager works well but stinks.....
    mybabyslove

Answer by mybabyslove at 10:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2008