What is the difference between prayer and magic?

I believe that they are the same.

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 7:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• magic is fake...prayer is real and works
    Anonymous

• Prayer is when you speak to the God you worship and ask for a favor or support. Magic is when something happens out of the ordinary that you cant explain. The two of these do not go together in my opinion.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• steph319 is right! by praying you are encouraging a relationship with God. wishing for something to happen and it "magically" does is not the work of God. God answers prayers in due time, things happen for a reason, so if you feel like you got a wish granted its mainly because your life was going down that path at that time anyways. magic is not real, but a fantasy.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I think magic and prayer both work. Different power behind each one.
    Anonymous

• Magic as we know it is from the works of the devil. Prayer is a prescribed method of worshiping God.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 7:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• nothing!!
    Anonymous

• IMO, they are basically the same thing. However, I think they way that most people view prayer (and use it) is something along the lines of, "God, I want something and I want you to give it to me/do it for me," etc., whereas magick (or using spells) is basically focusing your own energy on getting what you need, but petitioning the universe (or specific members of it) for some help while you work towards getting it by yourself. Now not EVERYONE uses these two things like I said, but I do see a lot of it. For example, to get a job-- Prayer: "God, I need a new car, please give me a car," followed by waiting for it to appear or something. Spells: cast a spell to help you find the perfect car then save money, browse for the best deals, maybe get a better job making more money, etc.

Again, not EVERYONE is like that! But that's just an extreme example to demonstrate my point in the difference being in how they are used.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:02 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• prayers are for God magic is for the devil
    Anonymous

• prayers arent wishes, it is talking to our heavenly father and asking for forgiveness and thanking him for taking care of us, magic is something that is detestable to our heavenly father.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• prayers are well rounded, we thank God, we ask God for help, we allow God to guide us

magic is tapping into the dark
    Anonymous