Women who say their babies won't latch?

I can't help but roll my eyes when I hear women saying their babies wouldn't latch.
Is this for real or do you think most of them just make it up/didn't try hard enough?
I mean that is all a new baby is programmed to do. I just don't get why a baby would latch onto a plastic bottle but not it's mothers breast like it's supposed to??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• SOME kids hate opening their mouths..my older 2 did, but I fought them and sure enough they nursed...many women who say the baby won't latch have already given bottle or pacifiers..and others have flat nipples so baby couldn't latch even if it wanted too.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• not necessarily.

#3 couldn't latch properly for me.

I'd successfully breastfed and LATCHED 2 babies, but not my 3rd.

just because you can doesn't mean everyone can.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:56 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Because some have a weak suck and due to some issue have a problem latching and if they can latch correctly, don't have a strong enough suck to get anything.

My son for example...born premature and could not get anything out. He was using a fast flow nipple at 1 week.

There are any number of reasons so get over yourself. Babies don't read the damn book and know everything they are "supposed to".
    Anonymous

• I think preemies have a hard time because they are so small...
    my friend had that flat nipple problem but she used a nipple shield and also pumped and was able to EBF for 6 months.
    but I do feel that alot of women just lie about it because it's hard those first few days
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 7:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• boy! someone is on their high horse today! can't wait for the mindless followers to show up!

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• OP;
    I understand why with preemies. But why with full term healthy babies?
    and Anon, it's not by the book, it's nature.
    Anonymous

• Some of us have such big boobs, making the areola so flat, that they just can't get it - and "pinching" it into a cone shape didn't work! Some of us tried our asses off, did everything possible, and just couldn't do it! And no, even a pump didn't do it's job on my beasts!
    Anonymous

• Some women's nipples are inverted so therefore the baby can't latch on, that's one of the many reasons why a baby can't latch on.....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I have heard this and "I couldn't produce enough milk." Honestly I think the majority (there are some that these are TRUE reasons) don't get the help, support, or encouragement needed. I find it hard to believe that SO many women no longer produce enough milk or babies won't latch. These are serious problems and a rare number can't overcome them, but many more could overcome them if they had more support. (My own obgyn has never had children and is often asking me questions about breastfeeding and my family doctor thinks it is normal to stop breastfeeding once they get teeth!!! Thankfully I didn't need support from them!)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• I had inverted nipples so my children really did have a hard time latching on. Then my fourth baby was 4 months premature so she was too small to properly latch on.

What I wonder is, how does it affect you if a mother says her baby won't latch on properly? Everyone knows that breastfeeding requires more work by the baby than bottle feeding & some babies are for whatever reason, not able or willing to do what it takes to breastfeed. They aren't robots... they aren't "programed" to do anything .

Your life would be a lot easier & less stressful if you worry about raising your children your way & let other moms raise their children their way. Doing this will require less eye rolling for you too!

You should work on being a nicer more understanding, less judgmental person, cuz mean people suck!
    Anonymous