TV?

I have a 7 month old. The rutine is TV in the morning, he like the sponge bob intro. I always said that I didnt want him to watch TV, or even see us using the computer, but we are in an appartment where there is no balcony, or yard to go outside, so I find that the TVs on all day. We go out now and then, but when we are at home should I limit how long the TVs on? Im worrid it will destract him from learning basic things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have an almost 8 month old, and I only let her watch tv if I really have to do something [like eat dinner]
    Oh and at 1:30 I put on the big comfy couch because she thinks the dust bunnies are hilarious.

I think no more than an hour.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• Experts say none til they're 2, and then only like 1/2 an hour to an hour a day. But...our tv is on pretty much all day every day for the noise (radio/music isn't an option here), but my kids are constantly on the go and really don't watch it. The stuff they do watch is the kid or cooking shows on PBS, so pretty much everything they see does have good teaching/learning stuff in it.
    Anonymous

• tv off and music on.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2009

• TV isn't that bad, but it's the shows you allow them to watch that can be a problem. (Spongebob, in my opinion is of no educational value at all)
    Anonymous

• my son watchs tv about 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night(he watches the news with my mom as he falls alseep) .
    Anonymous

• Tv Off.. Music Off... Play! Play is SO important to babies & kids...
    Read a book called "into the mind of babes" .... great book about tv & music & other distractions that can hurt kids..
    When ur trying to learn can u lisnen to the tv or music? its more distracting! kids playing in a quiet room is best for them :) because for kids learning is play!

for age 2 & under if tv is going to be watched it need to be shows like thomas the train (has been proven to help autistic kids learn about feelings!), dora, blues clues .. or anything that REPEATS alot.. even those teletubbies are a better choice (yes there has been studies!) than spongebob or other cartoons.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2009